cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE3400 Heavy Duty Series Uplink Network Configuration

ezisaac
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new project that we are considering to use IE3400 Heavy Duty series switches to support the remote field sites. I have few design questions:

1. Our network architecture includes a main hub site with core switches (standard Cat-9500 stack) and 22 spoke sites where IE3400H switches will be installed. Each spoke site is connected by a 6-pair fiber link. If I pick the IE-3400H-8T model, how should I configure the uplink port(s)? Additionally, what recommendations can you provide for selecting and setting up the media type (M12-RJ45 or media convertor)? 

2. In the configuration guide, why are there listings for Gig1/1 - 1/10 (10 ports) on this 8-port switch? What are those two additional Gig ports for?

3. At each remote site, we need to connect a total of 25 field devices, including 17 PoE devices like IP cameras, which exceeds the 24-port capacity of the IE-3400H-24T. What is the most suitable product option? Should I consider deploying two IE-3400H-16T switches at each site to accommodate a total of 32 ports, or are there other alternatives you would recommend?"

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Internally, the IE9300 is being rolled out as the direct replacement for the IE4k.  

One of the biggest drawcard for the IE9300 is the amount of PoE allowance (720 wac vs 200 wac on the IE4010).  

The IE9310 is not stackable, however, the IE9320 can be stacked (up to 4).  

Thank you for your feedback. Given the challenging conditions for IT equipment at the remote sites —high moisture, dirt, and saltiness —we are selecting the IE-3400 Heavy Duty switch. I believe the IE9300 may not be suitable for such environments. Could you or anyone provide any specific feedback or comments on the IE-3400H? All comments are welcome.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card