Views
Helpful
Replies

IHQ constant packets in incoming queue

Chrizhitz
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning

I am facing the following problem on a customer location with main and backup router. cisco ISR4331/K9

We see constant incoming IHQ packets on the WAN Interfaces on both routers. At the same time there is almost no traffic on the WAN Interface Gi0/0/2 on the standby router. 

we lost TACACS connection to the main router and "fixed" it by increasing the hold-que in to 2000 pakets. I do not see any other irregularities like high cpu load or massive packet counts.

has anyone encountered the same problem or can tell me in which direction I have to investigate.

sh interface summary (see attached doc)

thanks in advance

Chris

17 Replies 17

If the count remains the same and occasionally increases, remaining the same, basically behaving like a "high water mark", that may be a bug as I believe it's supposed to show the current ingress queue depth, not the highest seen to date.

after 5 hours 56 minutes no new IHQ packets.

IHQ (if working normal) always shows the current situation on the ingress queue with every refresh.

If there are 0 the IHQ shows 0 and so on.

I agree it behaves like a bug but then how come we lost TACACS access when Ingress queue exceeded approx. 300 packets and we where able to fix it by increasing the hold-queue in? 

The possible bug would have been the IHQ never showing lower values than prior values.  If that's not happening, I misunderstood what you described as happening.

As to having IHQ non-zero values. even if usages appears low, much can happen in milliseconds that won't be seen in longer term averages.

Generically, if unfamiliar, look up "microburstimg".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card