cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Image file transfer from remote Linux server to remote Cisco 3020 switch.

Hello Mates,

I have to transfer an Cisco image file from a remote Linux server to remote Cisco 3020 switch. Previously I used TFTP where my PC was directly connected to the router's port. Now, both the server and cisco are in a remote location. Can someone provide me the commands I require? 

I have the root password to the server. The image file is kept in the server, for example:

<Linux_Server>/File/Location/cbs30x0-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9.bin

Appreciate any suggestion.

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ok so you should be able to use SCP I did this recently and saved as I don't do it regularly this way from Linux servers

This worked for me so you can try it  

first check where you are on the server with pwd then cd into the directory where the image is

then use scp to transfer ,, theres a space between the .bin and mmalone@router

mmalone@LSFserverA:/tmp$ scp c880data-universalk9-mz.154-3.M7.bin   mmalone@routerA1:flash:/c880data-universalk9-mz.154-3.M7.bin

also make sure scp is enable don the switch , ip scp server enable

Thanks Mark.

I tried as you suggested. Here are the commands:

Router:
ip scp server enable
username tonmoy privilege 15 password 7 <encrypted_pass>

Server1:
root@server1:/location/to/the/image# scp cbs30x0-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9.bin tonmoy@<router's IP>:flash:/cbs30x0-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9.bin

Getting a message "Privilege denied" but the user has privilege level 15.

The "Privilege denied" is problem is solved by adding the following commands in the router.

no aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+ if-authenticated

aaa authorization exec default local if-authenticated

After the copying is completed, these two commands were removed.

thanks for posting your fix back I was running out the door when I sent that to you yesterday , glad you got the last bit fixed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card