Views
Helpful
Replies

Images Question

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I want to install a later image version on our new switches before we deploy them.

I find the new image labeling a little confusing.

This is our license level:

License Level                   : ipservices

License Type                    : Permanent

Next reboot licensing Level     : ipservices

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------

*    1 54    WS-C3750X-48P      12.2(58)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

2 54    WS-C3750X-48P      12.2(58)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

This is the current image that came with the switch:

c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2

I want to go to the:

c3750e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE2.bin

Does this seem appropriate and has anyone had any experience with the tar image? How is the GUI. We have a couple of people that prefer the GUI here.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anyone wanting to run 15.0(2)SE2 on a 3750G/E/X, a word of warning: 

DISABLE all your SNMP traps.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pat
I have never used the GUI, but the CLI works fine too. tar file is usually used when the switches are stacked. I have used 15.1 but from what I have heard 15.2 is a better image

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Reza

I'm going to stack the switches. Should I use the tar image instead of the bin? I always though the tar was used because it had the GUI functionality?

Will it be OK to use the bin if I am stacking? I've used the bin before for other stacks that worked fine.

Thank you.

Hello Patrick, you can use the bin file - I largely prefer this file for upgrades. You are correct about the tar file as it includes web based files which allows some mgmt via GUI I believe although I've never tried it... (CLI guy :-) ), but the tar process has the ability to role out the new file structure with image to stack members automatically.

Just upload the bin file to all members
Remember to set the boot file I.e.

Conf t
Boot system switch all flash:.bin

Save config and reboot the stack.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Pat,

If you want to upgrade them one at a time using the bin file, here is the instruction. With bin file, you have to copy the ios to flash1, flash2, etc... vs the tar file automates that for you. There is also instruction in this link for using the tar file.  This is all using CLI and not GUI.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml#cfbin1

HTH

So you guys feel I shouldn't mess with the tar file? I'm a cli guy as well and would rather not use it but, the automated config upgrade process might come in handy.

Speaking of which - I  haven't looked at the doc that Reza provided yet but, if I attached a new switch that hasn't been provisioned yet or configured, will it automatically get the current image that the master has?

Thanks.

If your adding a switch to the stack, you should upgrade the stack to the IOS you want first, then upgrade the standalone switch to the same IOS and then follow this instruction to add the standalone switch to the stack as a member.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stack3

The tar file has actualy worked fine for me in the past with 3750X, but some people like to use the bin and that is fine too. since you don't have that many switches in the stack bin file works fine.

Remember, the 3750X series switches come with the USB port in the back next to the out of band management port.  You can simply load the IOS you want into flash driver, put it in the switch and copy the image from USB to flash.  No need for TFTF any more. Be careful, some flash drives are not compatible.

HTH

I have heard 15.2 is a better image

15.0(2)SE2 Reza is alot better than the previous 12.2(58)SE and 15.0(X) versions but I would exercise caution.

If your switches, lest it be 2960/G/S, 3560G/E/X or 3750G/E/X, are running Layer 2 (including PoE and 802.1X) then 15.0(2)SE2 is a potential candidate.

If your switches are running Layer 3, then 12.2(55)SE7 is the front runner. 

So you've heard some bad things about 15.0(2)SE2 for layer 3? I think I will use 12.2(55)SE7.

Is this a good version for layer 2 as well? I would like to be consistant with the images accross the board.

Thanks, Pat.

So you've heard some bad things about 15.0(2)SE2 for layer 3?

I'm still in the midst of testing this version on Layer 3 so I can't say "Pass" or "Fail".

In regards to Layer 2, this version is fine, although I have seen three or four threads about high CPU.  I am no longer encountering high CPU even though my switches have both PoE (one of the causes I've seen which made the CPU spike) and 802.1X. 

Thanks Leo -

how about 12.2(55)SE7 for layer 2?

I would like all switches to be the same. I don't like not using the newest image, though. Especially for new installs.

Thanks.

how about 12.2(55)SE7 for layer 2?

Layer 2 or Layer 3, I highly recommend this version anytime.

I don't like not using the newest image, though.

No offense intended, but the team I work with don't mind taking the risk of installing the "latest" software as long as I'm responsible enough of doing some testings first.

Wait `til you see the IOS version of the other team!  They have this mentality of "not installing the latest version" so their fleet of switches are a mash-up of various IOS versions that go back 8 years (and more).

I can confidently say that all my 2960/G/S, 3560/C/G/E/X are running 15.0(2)SE2 and all my 3750/G/E/X are running 12.2(55)SE7.  And when I say "all", I mean it.  All of `em!  You will be hard pressed to find any of my switches running anything but the two I've mentioned.

You've convinced me Leo.I'm going to use 12.2(55)SE7 for the 3750Xs

I'm sure this would entail a lengthy discussion but, how do you test a image version without being in production? There are so many features to test.

Thanks, Pat.

The easiest way is to copy the config from a few switches and load the IOS.

If you don't have any spare appliance, find a production unit with the least impact and load the iOS for a week.

When I mean least impact, I mean one that doesn't have a lot of connections, for example.

Does this make sense?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Merci

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card