cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Implementing VSS without an outage

poulid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. Currently we're running a 6506E and a 6807 in an HSRP configuration, with the 6807 being the backup member. We have a second 6807, and I would like to implement VSS between these two, and remove the old 6506 and the HSRP configuration. I'd like to do this without causing too much disruption on the network, as these boxes are the core switches. Here is my plan, let me know if I'm crazy;

1.) Restore the current configuration of the old 6506 onto our 'spare' 6807, tweak it to make sure it works on the new box.

2.) Bring the backup 6807 off line, and leave the 6506 in production, temporarily handling all duties, and being the only member in the HSRP pair.

3.) Configure the two 6807's in a VSS pair.

4.) Configure HSRP on this new VSS pair, and introduce them into the HSRP group with the old 6506. Make sure the HSRP looks healthy.

5.) Bring the old 6506 down, leaving the VSS pair as the only member in the HSRP group handling traffic. 

6.) Change the IP's so that they match what the old 6506 had, so the clients gateway doesn't break.

7.) Remove the HSRP config.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Thx.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Converting standalone switches to VSS will overwrite your existing config and will change port designation and will cause downtime. For example, if you are using port 2/5, after the change the port will be 1/2/5 and on the second switch 2/2/5 and so on...  I recommend doing all these changes only in a maintenance window.

HTH 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There will be downtime.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card