cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

inter vlan routing with layer 3 switch with frame relay and PAT

zaidiatifs
Level 1
Level 1

hi people , i have a question about vlan , i am attaching the diagram in packer tracer as below :

i have configured all the three switches with vlans names Sales IT and Paralegal , how can i make the vlans  access the server located on other side of the cloud ?

please advise , how can i accomplish that .

thanks in advance

Capture1.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Atif, I am not sure if it is possible to use the cloud to join the ethernet interface and serial interface in a frame-relay cloud, so I will change this to 2 routers that join to the frame-relay cloud. I will upload the file when I have completed it.

Was it a requirement to have the switch connected to the cloud?

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ASA Atif, Could you kindly upload the packet tracer file? - you can do this if you 'edit' your post and at the bottom should be an attach field and button.

This way I can take a better look and suggest a good config for you.

Thank you

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

hi Bilal,  thanks again

i have attached the Packet tracer file

Hello Atif, I am not sure if it is possible to use the cloud to join the ethernet interface and serial interface in a frame-relay cloud, so I will change this to 2 routers that join to the frame-relay cloud. I will upload the file when I have completed it.

Was it a requirement to have the switch connected to the cloud?

therewas not such requirement .....but i will surely wait for your file

thanks again

Hello Atif, here is the attached!

I changed the 3560 to a router instead because it wasnt possible to create the frame-relay cloud with ethernet and serial in packet-tracer. So instead of vlan interfaces on the 3560, I will be doing something called router-on-a-stick configuration.

So.... lets start with the server - i gave this the ip address 100.0.0.50 and the router was 100.0.0.1 (this is the 100 network)

Next I had to configure the frame-relay interface on the router which has special configuration like this:

Router1:

interface Serial0/0/0

ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0

encapsulation frame-relay

frame-relay interface-dlci 202

ip ospf network point-to-point

clock rate 2000000

With frame-relay you have to specify the encapsulation - the dlci number for basic configuration on a frame-relay interface. I had to change the cloud settings to reflect this.

I did the same for router 0.

Then i enabled OSPF so i can share the routes via redistribution so there can be reachability everywhere.

router ospf 1

router-id 10.0.0.2

log-adjacency-changes

redistribute connected subnets

network 10.0.0.2 0.0.0.0 area 0

Next i configured 'router on a stick' which is intervlan routing too. This means that for all the vlans I had to create sub-interfaces like this:

interface FastEthernet0/0.10

encapsulation dot1Q 10

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.248

!

interface FastEthernet0/0.20

encapsulation dot1Q 20

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.248

!

interface FastEthernet0/0.30

encapsulation dot1Q 30

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.248

This is the default gateway for all of your devices. All of these sub interfaces become the gateway and is the intervlan routing between subnets.

Just at the end i created DHCP scope so all the laptops can get an IP address:

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1

ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.1.1

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1

!

ip dhcp pool 10

network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.248

default-router 10.10.10.1

ip dhcp pool 192

network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.248

default-router 192.168.1.1

ip dhcp pool 172

network 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.248

default-router 172.16.1.1

I hope this helps!

More information on these topics can be found here:

Frame-relay: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/14.pdf

Inter-vlan routing - router on a stick: http://www.orbit-computer-solutions.com/How-to-Configure-Router-on-a-Stick-InterVLAN-Routing.php

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card