Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interfacing a BNC Ethernet with a RJ-45 interface

I have legacy equipment using a BNC as an Ethernet connector. In the past we used AUI to BNC adaptors but nowadays they're hard to come by especially in the DC version. I was thinking of using RJ-45 to BNC adaptors but the ones that are cheap are made for video. Would they be okay for using with Ethernet?

6 REPLIES 6
VIP Advisor

BNC uses 10Base2.  It is not

BNC uses 10Base2.  It is not the same as 10BaseT.

RF-45 to BNC video adaptors will not work.  You need something to convert the protocol.

That's what I thought. Thanks

That's what I thought. Thanks for your explanation.

VIP Advisor

There are options still

There are options still around - but they're generally not cheap.

Have a look at this one as an example: https://www.blackbox.com/Store/us/Detail.aspx/Compact-Media-Converter-10BASE-T-10BASE2/LMC009A-R5

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

I know about those and the

I know about those and the price is the problem. I might be using another model which converts AUI directly to Ethernet that might be cheaper. Thanks for you answer.

VIP Advisor

AUI is 10Base-5 which is

AUI is 10Base-5 which is different to the 10Base-2 BNC connector you were discussing before.  But if you've already got the 10Base-2 to 10Base-5 (AUI) converter, then you can use another cheaper AUI to 10Base-T converter on that (something like this: 10Base-T to 10Base-5).  It does add a possible additional point of failure in your network and possibly increases your troubleshooting process if/when there's an issue.  Although, on the same web site, they have a cheaper T to 2 converter which may help you if it's purely price you're concerned with.

Wayne
--

Wayne
--

Thanks Wayne.

Thanks Wayne.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards