Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intervlan routing via router

Hi All,

Apologies if I have the wrong thread. I have been set a university assignment which involves me building a network for a hypothetical college using Packet Tracer. As part of the assignment, I need to create three areas (rooms), these are:

1. LAB-1

2. LAB-2

3. Staff Room

I have created four zones, LAB-1, LAB-2, Staff room and a central zone which holds a hypothetical AD server. In LAB-1/LAB-2 there are 4 student computers on VLAN 3, 1 staff computer on VLAN 2 and a printer on VLAN 4. Firstly, I want the student and staff computers to be able to ping the printer (in their respective labs) but preferably not each other. Secondly all the computers both on the labs and in the staff room need to ping the AD server. Each zone has a switch and in the middle of this is a router; my technical professor suggested to use a multilayer switch although I think it might be easier to use a router.

Does anyone have ideas or tips on how to solve this issue? I have attached the Packet Tracer file.

Kind Regards,

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@confusedstudent77 wrote:
Firstly, I want the student and staff computers to be able to ping the printer (in their respective labs) but preferably not each other. - this can be accomplished with routed & vlan access-lists however PT doesnt support VACLs so you should be able to protect each port indiividually instead, it isnt a recommended way but it does work.

Secondly all the computers both on the labs and in the staff room need to ping the AD server. Each zone has a switch and in the middle of this is a router; -  this can be accomplished with either a L3 switch or router providing the L3 inter-vlan routing

Please review the attached working PT file

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

@confusedstudent77 wrote:
Firstly, I want the student and staff computers to be able to ping the printer (in their respective labs) but preferably not each other. - this can be accomplished with routed & vlan access-lists however PT doesnt support VACLs so you should be able to protect each port indiividually instead, it isnt a recommended way but it does work.

Secondly all the computers both on the labs and in the staff room need to ping the AD server. Each zone has a switch and in the middle of this is a router; -  this can be accomplished with either a L3 switch or router providing the L3 inter-vlan routing

Please review the attached working PT file

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice, what did you think of my Packet Tracer file? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

Hello

chexk the working PT file I attached and review its configuration 

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sending this through, I have seen that you have changed some of the ip addresses and how LAB-2 switch is used, do you mind explaining what was wrong with my network and how exactly rectified it?

Kind Regards,

Jason

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card