cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Download without Service Contract?

etb
Level 1
Level 1

I have an older 3560 switch that I think may have corrupted firmware and I would like to try reinstalling it.  It seems that the software download center will allow me to download the image, but it also says that I agree to not download software for any device for which I do not have a current service contract.  How can I tell if this image is free to download or not if I have a service contract for another device but not this 3560 model WS-C3560-48TS-S?

2 Replies 2

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

You cannot download the latest & greatest IOS images from Cisco, but you should be able to get images for older devices (ie. 2950 switches and such).  If you want something more up to date with no contract, you may have to brave the risky world of bittorrent (can't believe I just said that ).  Good luck.

If you have an existing Cisco contract, you should be able to download most images, old or new.  Go to Support --> Download Software and see if you can pull it down.  I personally can't guarantee you access, but you can know for yourself if you give it a shot.

Message was edited by: Antonio Knox

The issue is that I think it will let me download the images, but I am not sure if that means they are free for me to do so.  And the agreement to which you have to agree before downloading stipulates that you agree not to download images for items for which you do not have a current contract and that Cisco may charge you if you do so anyway.  But cisco.com indicates that some items are free to download, but only says that you can tell if they are free to download if you are signed in as a registered guest and it will let you.  But I have a service contract associated with my account (just not for this switch), so I'm not a registered guest.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card