Helpful
Replies

IOS image using TFTP

exabite1371
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

i have several switch 2950,2960,3550,3750

they have run old IOS (i don't know exact version but i am sure they can't support all features and need to upgrade to EI image and newer)

so i saw two articles

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/41542-191.html#configure1

and

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/file_management/file_management/img_files.html

-----------------------

so my question is for upgrade my ios to newer version can i use both command?and what is different between each CLI?

command1:

first ---> delete flash:<name.bin>

then:

copy tftp flash:

ip :

name:

command 2:

archive download-sw [/directory] /overwrite /reload tftp:[[//location]/directory]/image-name1.tar [image-name2.tar image-name3.tar image-name4.tar]

so what is or what are the different between 2 above commands?

can i use both of them or not?

--------------------------------------------------

question 2:

how i can download latest version of cisco Switch layer 2(2950 , 2960) and layer 3  (3550,3750)?

how i can find what are the differents between differ IOS image  ?  only i need (*.bin) no CMS (*.tar)

best wishes

thanks a lot

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

abdallah malas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I will give you the method I use to upgrade the switches L2 or L3:

1- Install the new image from Cisco's webpage (cisco.com --> support -->download), i recommend you not to install the latest one instead install the recommended one. (It will have a star next to it)

2- Check if the version you installed if it has any bugs.

3- Install a TFTP Server on a computer that has access to an IP address on a switch ( example: you can configure a Management IP address using "Int Vlan" command)

4- Check the Flash on the Switch using the "show Flash" command to make sure you have enough space.

5- Put the image in the Root Folder of the TFTP Server on your computer.

6- Issue a copy RUN to TFTP to make a back up of your configuration.(doing a backup is always good)

7- Issue a copy TFTP to FLASH to make the image copy to FLASH of the switch.

8- Do a "show run | i boot" to see the boot images on the switch.

9- Do "no boot system XXXXX" for the old images basically copy the output of the command in step 8 and just put no at the begining.

10- Do "boot system THENEWIMAGE".

11- This step is not obligatory but I highly recommend it, you can add back the old image using "boot system OLDIMAGE" it will place the old image as a secondary image just in case for some reason the primary image did not boot.

12- Save your changes using "copy run start"

13- Reload

14- Use the "show version" to make sure the new version is in place.

That is the process to upgrade the software on the switch. Hope it helps.

Note: Make sure you have a console access to the switch before doing the upgrade just in case something goes wrong.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

You are most welcome, happy I was able to help.

For you to know if their is enough space to copy on Flash, you need to issue show flash it will give you at the button a number in bytes.

Change the number from bytes to MB or GB and see if you are able to put the image or not.

To switch from bytes to MB or GB you can use this link :

http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/byteconverter.htm

Let me know if more help is needed,

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

abdallah malas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I will give you the method I use to upgrade the switches L2 or L3:

1- Install the new image from Cisco's webpage (cisco.com --> support -->download), i recommend you not to install the latest one instead install the recommended one. (It will have a star next to it)

2- Check if the version you installed if it has any bugs.

3- Install a TFTP Server on a computer that has access to an IP address on a switch ( example: you can configure a Management IP address using "Int Vlan" command)

4- Check the Flash on the Switch using the "show Flash" command to make sure you have enough space.

5- Put the image in the Root Folder of the TFTP Server on your computer.

6- Issue a copy RUN to TFTP to make a back up of your configuration.(doing a backup is always good)

7- Issue a copy TFTP to FLASH to make the image copy to FLASH of the switch.

8- Do a "show run | i boot" to see the boot images on the switch.

9- Do "no boot system XXXXX" for the old images basically copy the output of the command in step 8 and just put no at the begining.

10- Do "boot system THENEWIMAGE".

11- This step is not obligatory but I highly recommend it, you can add back the old image using "boot system OLDIMAGE" it will place the old image as a secondary image just in case for some reason the primary image did not boot.

12- Save your changes using "copy run start"

13- Reload

14- Use the "show version" to make sure the new version is in place.

That is the process to upgrade the software on the switch. Hope it helps.

Note: Make sure you have a console access to the switch before doing the upgrade just in case something goes wrong.

Best Regards,

hi MR.Malas

first thanks a lot from your really pretty good answer

thanks 

is there enough to copy NEWIMAGE to flash or no again copy it to slot0 or slot 1 or....

You are most welcome, happy I was able to help.

For you to know if their is enough space to copy on Flash, you need to issue show flash it will give you at the button a number in bytes.

Change the number from bytes to MB or GB and see if you are able to put the image or not.

To switch from bytes to MB or GB you can use this link :

http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/byteconverter.htm

Let me know if more help is needed,

Best Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card