Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS on standby switch

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I am running VSS on 4506-E switch with  Supervisor 7L-E. Currently  running IOS on both switches is "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.05.03.E.152-1.E3.bin" which is latest one. I have been asked to run "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.03.SG.151-2.SG3.bin" so i think i need to degrade IOS.

Since switches are running in cluster so copying image will be pasted into active switch. Pls tell me how could i do copy this into standby also.

Pls tell me if IOS "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.03.SG.151-2.SG3.bin" is stable for VSS.

Also let me know if this support  SSH login.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Published bugs, known as "caveats" are documented in the software release notes. Here is a link to the page for the IOS release notes for the 4506-E.

Looking at the release notes for the version you mention, I see only some minor VSS-related caveats. There may be unpublished bugs but only the TAC would be able to tell if that's the case.

Please rate helpful answers and mark your question as answered when it has been.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Once you copy the image into the active switch, you can copy it onto the standby unit by specifying the target as slavebootflash. e.g.:

copy bootflash:/cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.03.SG.151-2.SG3.bin slavebootflash:/

Once you have copied the image onto both supervisors, follow the procedure for upgrade / downgrade of a VSS described here.

I don't know personally of any stability issues with the 3.4(3) IOS-XE image - VSS or otherwise.

The "k9" in the image name indicates support for encryption which includes the ability to create an rsa key and configure ssh transport.

Thanks Marvin.. Also do both switches must have same etherchannel number and virtual domain number for SSO to happen properly. I read this out on cisco. Is this correct.

If so i am not using same number, my active switch has etherchannel 1 and standby has 2 number. ALso virtual domain number is too different.

For VSS, both switches are required to have the same virtual domain number. Reference.

For a given multichassis etherchannel, having the same etherchannel number is what tells the interfaces to bond together so it, too, is a prerequisite (for a given etherchannel).  Reference

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for valuable suggestion.. I have been asked that there is some bug related to 10Gig for VSS on below version. Could you also pls clear out on this. Also tell if there is  document on IOS version which shows bugs.

cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.03.SG.151-2.SG3.bin

Published bugs, known as "caveats" are documented in the software release notes. Here is a link to the page for the IOS release notes for the 4506-E.

Looking at the release notes for the version you mention, I see only some minor VSS-related caveats. There may be unpublished bugs but only the TAC would be able to tell if that's the case.

Please rate helpful answers and mark your question as answered when it has been.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card