cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS questions

whitelabcoat
Level 1
Level 1

It seems each time I do an IOS upgrade on a router or switch I'm trying to repurpose, I forgot all I learned the last time.

I've read a lot today about the differences and the eight IOS "packages."

The choices I have are: Advanced Enterprise Services and Advanced IP Services.  My current same-routers in production are using IP Services.  Is there any good reason to go to Enterprise Services?

Also, I want to just use the old working config and make minor changes.  My last version was 12.3, and this will be 15.1.4.  Are there any gotchas on the configs that will change between versions that far apart?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are there any gotchas on the configs that will change between versions that far apart?

No.

Is there any good reason to go to Enterprise Services?

Because you can?  

No seriously, not really.  Stick to the feature set you are currently using. 

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

In some platforms I've seen features disappear from a feature set when upgrading. Not often, but it has happened and so means a change of feature set e.g., from IP Services to Advanced IP Services.

Unless you run into that situation, I'd agree completely with Leo. Don't change feature set unless you need. There are several implications of doing so:
- licencing cost of more advanced feature sets is higher, and why pay for features you don't use ?
- the more advanced the image, the more memory (both flash and DRAM) so you may also end up needing hardware upgrades

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card