Views
Helpful
Replies

Ios update for 3560-C : WS-C3560CG-8PC-S

jmbajet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I plan to buy WS-C3560CG-8PC-S (Catalyst 3560-C) for my home lab. I just created a new account on cisco.com (I did not register any equipment or contract for that new account). I was able to download ios 12 and 15 for that switch.

- Will I be able to flash one of these versions when I will have the new switch ?

Cisco warranty for these Switchs (Enhanced Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty, www.cisco-servicefinder.com/warrantyfinder.aspx) says NO OS Software Updates included. Does tha mean that I can download ios updates but won't be able to flash the device or use it ?

- Do I really have to buy Smartnet support to be able to update ios for that switch ?

Thanks by advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello just to answer some of your points.

- Everybody with an cisco account and without contract can download universal ios. The universal ios file can't be used without an proper license. So it doesn't matter

Maybe this is the case, may just come with a base feature set. Ip base or LAN base?

- 3560CG comes with an IP Base license and can't be upgraded to IP Services

It can be upgraded to ip services. You need the correct image or license, depending on which major version you go with, I.e. 12 or 15.

12 you can download the correct firmware with the feature set, with 15 you need a license.

- So I suppose that I will be able to update 3560CG with any universal ios version and "stay" at IP Base level

Depending on what feature set the universal image has without licenses. I assume its base.

- Smartnet is required if you need support (TAC) or quick (4, 8 hours) hardware replacement

Yes I believe so, although I think the thing you call smartnet, I call Cisco service support contract..?

- Smartnet is not required for normal (days) hardware replacement as 3560CG warranty is lifetime of the product (except power for 5 years)

This information should all be in the service support contract.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, If you have the IOS (.bin) file you can upload this on to your switch using tftp. Depending on which feature sets you require, with version 15 you may need licenses to enable them. More info on this here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-579326.html

You will be able to update the IOS though.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply,

The image I could download seems to be universal images (tar and bin extension).

- 3560CG-8PC-S comes build in with IP Base and is not upgradable to IP Services
- Seems to be factory loaded with a license file for IP Base

But will I be able to upgrade from ios 12 to 15 ?

Your link seems to say that only upgrades within the same version is OK : 12 -> 12 ok, 12 -> 15 ?

In other words if the switch comes with ios 12, It seems that I will be able to flash to any 12 version releases.
- BUT Will I be able to flash to 15 versions (with the factory pre loaded licence) while staying with IP Base ?

- Do I really need to purchase Smartnet for being able to update any ios if I already can download iso images without any contract ?

- do I misunderstood cisco licensing rules ?

Thanks

Hello, it doesn't matter which version you have (of course it has to be compatible with the model) you should be able to upload any IOS image file (.bin) to the switch. Its just a case of, if you want certain features that you need to be aware of.

You can go from 12 to 15. All you need to do is upload the version 15 image via tftp and set the switch to boot from the new file.
If you can already download the images, you dont really need smartnet - if its for studying and personal use. You can already download the firmware. But If you are able to get the ios then you may already have a Cisco service contract.

Also, im not entirely sure if the universal image has ip base as a standard image. But worst case scenario you can change the IOS back to version 12 with a feature set.

Hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

You can upgrade the IOS of a 3560CG from 12.X to 15.0.  There is only the "universal" file.

You need a valid Cisco Service Contract to be able to download the IOS.

Hello,

I do not have any contract and can download universal ios (I just created a new account without any contract on cisco.com then downloaded universal ios for 3569-C). So I understand the followings :

- Everybody with an cisco account and without contract can download universal ios. The universal ios file can't be used without an proper license. So it doesn't matter
- So I suppose that I will be able to update 3560CG with any universal ios version and "stay" at IP Base level
- Smartnet is required if you need support (TAC) or quick (4, 8 hours) hardware replacement
- Smartnet is not required for normal (days) hardware replacement as 3560CG warranty is lifetime of the product (except power for 5 years)

Am I wrong ?

Hello just to answer some of your points.

Maybe this is the case, may just come with a base feature set. Ip base or LAN base?

It can be upgraded to ip services. You need the correct image or license, depending on which major version you go with, I.e. 12 or 15.

12 you can download the correct firmware with the feature set, with 15 you need a license.

Depending on what feature set the universal image has without licenses. I assume its base.

Yes I believe so, although I think the thing you call smartnet, I call Cisco service support contract..?

This information should all be in the service support contract.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Bilal for the time taking to help me.

I don't see any upgrade to IP Services for this Model 3560-CG.  What part are you looking at and what is the part number I use to get a license?

DanRichardson
Level 1
Level 1

Glad to find this thread, here to clean up a few details for the next searcher.
Upgraded my WS-C3560CG-8PC-S from 12.2(55)EX3 to 15.2(2)E10, using the web GUI and the file 

UNIVERSAL WITH WEB BASED DEV MGR 
c3560c405ex-universalk9-tar.152-2.E10.tar
Almost gave up, because it sat on "Loading the tar file to the switch" for at least 15 minutes.
In the end, it worked.

I recently purchased a 3560G and is expected to arrive Monday April 11th, any suggestions on where I can obtain download OEM clean bug free software and also any documents, brochure literature, user/service/tech manuals and any other helpful stuff to help me working with and using this Cisco switch? I am looking for ANYTHING that you think would be helpful and informative in helping me learn as much as possible about it, general use as well as upgrading the firmware/operating system.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card