Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade on Catalyst 3750 stacking configuration

wfchew2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I will be performaing switches IOS upgrade from IPBase to IPService/K9 very soon and currently I have 2x 3750 switches stacking with different models as below;

Switch   Ports  Model              SW Version              SW Image
------   -----  -----              ----------              ----------
     1   12     WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(25)SE              C3750-I5-M
*    2   52     WS-C3750-48P       12.2(25)SE              C3750-I5-M

What is Cisco recommendation on IOS upgrade for different models in a stack configuration? As I also noticed from IOS download, there are actually specified IOS for each model like c3750G and c3750, same goes to 24-ports and 48-ports ?These IOS models are not mixable amount different models. Please advise.

7 Replies 7

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Look more closely at the file name in the download section of both switchs, it's the same.

Hi Dominic,

True as the filename are the same and same file size too. I have to separately download IOS based on the model them for 3750-24FS and 3750G-12S, as they are not the same once downloaded into the flash.

Best regards,

Lawrence Chew

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In a stack environment, the IOS image for all switches must be the same.  You can not run one version on one switch and a different version on the other one and stack them.

Regarding the version upgrade, read the release notes for bugs, issue and fixes before you load the image on your device.  Also try to stay away from loading the latest version unless only that version provide the features you need.

HTH

The 3750 are not pick as the 2960S, I have one stack with slightly different versions among memeber, and they mated just fine.

Hi Paolo,

Have you try to perform IOS on your stack? Which methods you have tried to perform the upgrade, auto or manual upgrade ? This will really help. Please advise.

Best regards,

Lawrence Chew

Hi Reza,

I have perform IOS upgrade for stacking configuration, for same model. But different models seem to be different. I was trying to perform auto upgrade from master and hope to populate to the rests of member switches. But some how failed. Please advise.

Best regards,

Lawrence Chew

I was trying to perform auto upgrade from master and hope to populate to the rests of member switches. But some how failed. Please advise.

What command are you using?

A good command is "archive download-sw /destination 1 /destination 2 /destination n tftp:"

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card