Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address not getting from static

JackinJain0870
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

There are devices where they are not getting network connection when its set to static IP. DHCP is working fine but then if we use the same address as DHCP address that we received for static there's no network connection. the SW ports are setup as trunk, is there a reason why it will not work? Please let me know if you need additional info or have any questions.  

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It could be conflicting issue. So, If you want to use the same IP as the DHCP server assigns, you need to exclude that IP from the DHCP scope.

HTH

So it looks like the link light is on and IP address assigned statically from the excluded range of DHCP. The link light is on but status show not connected. Any solution to that? There's also a server connected with same config (trunk, encap, portfast) on another port on same switch and that is working fine. For testing purposes I have put the non working port to access mode and it still didn't work (not connected status, no shut mode). 

Make sure the speed matches on both the switch port and the device itself. If the switch 10/100/1000 make sure the device support that as well. For testing, you can always set the port speed and duplex on the switch to match the server. Also, make sure the cable is good.

HTH

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello my friend,

Trying excluding that address from dhcp or reserve itself to your device.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

DHCP usually provides a default gateway as well. When you configure the static IP, are you also configuring the same gateway?

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card