cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Address of Switch

TNicholson03
Level 1
Level 1

I'm slightly confused here.  I can't seem to pin point the IP address of my Cisco switch.  If I hook the internet WAN port directly to the switch and then hook my laptop to the switch, I can access it via the web just fine.  If I have the WAN port hooked to my firewall and the switch hooked to a LAN port on the firewall, i can't find the IP for the switch.  I've looked inside the firewall to see the leased DHCP addresses and I've tried using Cain and Abel to SNIFF my network and tell me the current IPs in use, but still nothing.

It is kind of annoying having to take the switch out of production everytime I want to access it.  Should I set a static private IP on the switch or any other ideas?

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

show ip int br | inc Vlan  will tell you the IP address of the switch.

Post a topo of what you are trying and what is working along with the firewall config.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

TNicholson03 wrote:

I'm slightly confused here.  I can't seem to pin point the IP address of my Cisco switch.  If I hook the internet WAN port directly to the switch and then hook my laptop to the switch, I can access it via the web just fine.  If I have the WAN port hooked to my firewall and the switch hooked to a LAN port on the firewall, i can't find the IP for the switch.  I've looked inside the firewall to see the leased DHCP addresses and I've tried using Cain and Abel to SNIFF my network and tell me the current IPs in use, but still nothing.

It is kind of annoying having to take the switch out of production everytime I want to access it.  Should I set a static private IP on the switch or any other ideas?

You don't say what kind of switch you're using, but it's entirely possible it doesn't *have* an IP address.

If you hook your WAN into your switch and a PC into your switch, by default they're both going to be in the same VLAN - VLAN 1 - and traffic will pass between them without needing any layer 3 interaction from the switch.

Your firewall is almost certainly performing some form of routing/NAT inside it, and it *may* have a different VLAN tag on the LAN ports to your switch, resulting in traffic not passing between them.

Can you post 1) The model numbers of your switch/firewall/WAN device, 2) A diagram of your topology - both when it works and when it doesn't, and 3) Configurations of your devices (switch, firewall and WAN device) sanitised (passwords and 'live" IP addresses removed), and we may have more chance of helping out.

Cheers

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

While connecting the switch via local interface could you connect the switch via console cable se what exactly the configuration or ip address allotted to vlan or port.

or post thr running configuration of the switch.

Hope to Help !!

Ganeshh Iyer

The original poster does not tell us what kind of switch he is using (especially important is whether it is a layer 2 switch or a layer 3 switch). so we can not tell whether this switch has 0, or 1, or multiple IP addresses.

The statement that he can access the switch if the switch is connected to the WAN port and the PC is connected to the switch does imply that the switch does have at least 1 IP address. But he fails to mention what that IP address is and does not mention what happens if he attempts to access that address in other connectoin scenarios.

The description of connecting the switch to the WAN and to the firewall implies that the switch has at least 2 VLANs configured. But we do not have any details about these VLANs or what addresses they use.

And if the switch is connected to one firewall port and the user PC is connected through a different firewall port then it is not clear whether the firewall is preventing access to the switch.

If the original poster can clarify some of these issues then perhaps we can understand the issues better and provide better answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card