Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Addressing Assignment

adam13337
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question regarding a CCNA lab I am working on.

The instructions state: "The 192.168.1.0/24 network must be subnetted for use in the HQ LAN and the link between the HQ and BRANCH routers. The HQ lan will require 50 host IP addresses."

I know that if I need 50 hosts in a network, the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.192, with the first useable address in the first subnet being 192.168.1.1, the first useable address in the second subnet being .65 etc.

My question is, how will the subnets I have found change considering they give me 192.168.1.0/24 including the subnet mask /24, rather than just 192.168.1.0 without the subnet mask.

Thank-you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It won't change anything as the default mask for a class C address is 255.255.255.0 or /24.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

I agree with Alain that specifying the mask does not change anything about the subnets that you gave. Really giving the mask only is an indication of how much space you have to work with in creating your subnets.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It won't change anything as the default mask for a class C address is 255.255.255.0 or /24.

Regards

Alain

I agree with Alain that specifying the mask does not change anything about the subnets that you gave. Really giving the mask only is an indication of how much space you have to work with in creating your subnets.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card