Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Migration

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello- 

One of my clients has two sites one in LA and the second on is in SF. The IP addressing at both sites is still legacy(public IP addresses, assume LA site: 111.111.111.x/29; and SF site: 112.112.112.x/29). The project I haw been assigned is to migrate these IP addresses to private IP addresses. I've never worked on a project like this before and was hoping that some of you have and could provide me with some guidance. 

I've carved up two new private IP subsets for both sites and created them on the DHCP server.

I've gathered lists of all the networking devices and the IP addresses they're currently assigned to.

I've identified all of the objects/hosts in both firewalls at both sites so I can replace them with private ip addresses. 

I know there's a lot more that I need to take into account and include in project plan and I hoping you guys can assist me. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best, ~zK 

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Get copies of the routing tables in case of static routing etc.

But the big one is the applications they run. No application in this day and age should have hard coded IPs but there is always one and it usually turns out to be the most important app in the company. 

If you are lucky there won't be any. 

Jon

Thanks for the reply. 

This network is small and they only have a few static route statements. 

Aside from finding out all of the static IP's assigned to servers and/or applications, is there anything else I need to make sure of? I am mostly concerned about DNS (internal/external) and want to know what I need to consider and include in my migration plan? 

Thanks, ~zK 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card