Replies

ip multicast helper

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi all

I am having a little issues digesting the topic: ip multicast helper

here is the cisco Doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/configuration/guide/imc_inter_mc_helper.pdf

if i want to have bidirectional connection between 2 networks, should i repeat First and Last hop configs on my both ends?

Regards,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.
2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Soroush,

yes if you mean that you want to have braodcast traffic originated in Site A converted to multicast, multicast routed to Site B and then converted to broadcast at SiteB and also broadcast traffic originated on SiteB converted to multicast at site B, multicast routed to Site A, and then converted to broadcast at SiteA.

This means double configuration with role exchanged on site A and site B. You will use different muticast groups for the two directions and you should be fine.

The real question is do you really need all this?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you Giuseppe.

I was reading this study material, there was a Multicast server in site A and a host not capable of multicast in site B. then it said if we want to enable that host to send and receive multicast traffic, we should do the following config... blah blah...

it was a slightly non sense config, i looked it up on cisco.com and thats what i found. i dont think bidirectional helper would be needed, there must be a typing error or sth thou.

Thanks for clarifying, and one more thing, there MUST be 2 different multicast groups for bidirectional? sparse-mode in use.

cheerZ

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card