Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Multicast on LAN for IPTV

hello there, i'm in trouble to setting up Multicast Network on LAN 

could you please help me to understand multicast on Layer 2 Network. actually i have IPTV network on hotel, total i have 277 IPTV on LAN and IPTV is reside on same Subnet, i have total 14 IDF, from each IDF to core i have fiber link, on edge Switch i have HP 2920 G 24 port and at Core HP 5920 Fiber Switch. the IPTV Server (satellite Streamer )  is connected to Core Switch all TV are on same subnet. so i wanted to implement multicast on LAN to reduce unicast traffic. i have read some document just needs to enable IGMP snooping on all switch, but i also read you need to have one device which will act IGMP querier, could you please advise me what exactly i need to configure in this scenario? thanks hope to see you soon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Don't have experience with the server or end devices but they may have an option to use unicast so you may need to tell them to use multicast.

Can't say for sure.

In terms of addressing your clients and servers still need IP addresses in addition to the multicast group address used by the server.

Jon

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If it is all one vlan/IP subnet then as you say you need to enable IGMP snooping on all switches and you need to enable the IGMPs snooping querier on one of your switches.

You need the querier function because something has to send IGMP queries.

Jon

[@jon.marshall]   thanks for your comment on my question, 

yes  network is single broadcast Domain,  all the IPTV server and Smart TV  are living in same Network.

Actually i already implemented whole infrastructure however, but i only enable IGMP snooping on All switches including Core. 

but the problem  i'm facing randomly IPTV are freezing, it stuck when streaming, but when i restart Switch then it works fine.

So, if i make IGMP querier as  CORE Switch, do i still need to enable IGMP snooping feature on Core Switch or do i need to configure both IGMP snooping & querier on Core Switch  ?

i'm thinking this is because Multicast packet flooding and unable to handle and hanging Switch . 

Regard

TEJ BAHADUR 

You need both IGMP snooping and the querier function enabled on your core switch.

Jon

[@jon.marshall]   thanks again 

alright got it !!

by the way do i need to configure  Multicast on IPTV server as well and all end Device Smart TV  or just only on  all edge Switches and Core Switch.

because IPTV has feature called Multicast,

and one more question what IP address should i use in this scenario do i need to use 224.x.x.x or i can use 172.16.0.0/20 on my IPTV LAN.   

thanks.

Regard

TEJ BAHADUR 

Don't have experience with the server or end devices but they may have an option to use unicast so you may need to tell them to use multicast.

Can't say for sure.

In terms of addressing your clients and servers still need IP addresses in addition to the multicast group address used by the server.

Jon

i managed to make it work, 

let me share how i did was, there was a IPTV streamer which constantly sending multicast packet to LAN, each TV channel was bind to multicast IP address for example 239.1.1.1 = BBC 239.1.1.2 = CNN etc 

there is a middleware server managing TV channel and some other feature like RSS feed, currency rate, temperature etc 

the IP streamer constantly sending multicast packet to LAN,  the Core Switch has configure IGMP queerer and ip multicast pim-sm, and all the Edge switches enable IGMP snooping.

that's it

Hi Tej!

I am willing to set up a multicast network on a single building but don't know anything about wich equipment do I need. I'm new to IPTV and this set up is for experimental purposes 
can you send me a list of basics of what do i need to shop for this?

hi emascote 

how big network you want to deploy ? if you need for home IPTV network you  can use decent equipment, which support IGMP, of course nowadays almost all Switch support IGMP,

for your streaming server which vendor are you looking at?

there is TVHEADEND open source available you can make small IPTV network at home or at small business.

Thanks.

hi tej bahadur,

I know this discussion has been for a while now, I just want to ask you some questions regarding setup of of your iptv. We have the same scenario as you, we have installed IPTV solution for a hotel with around 150 TV sets with 1 multicast server and 1 TV control server (acts like a STB). 

Is there a way we could send private messages on you to ask infos?

Hi Tej,

I am facing same issue with network traffic controlling. Could you please suggest me in below scenario.

I have encoder which receives HDMI video signal and provides IP out in either SPTS or MPTS. This encoder can take 12 HDMI input channels. In same way I have 3 encoders connected to Cisco Switch and also Samsung hotel TV connected to the same switch. I have assigned same IP's for all channel but the port for all channel is different. If the assigned bandwidth for total pool is below 100 Mbps, the channels streams well but if I add extra channel or increase the bandwidth above 100 Mbps, channels starts freezing. The capacity of TV port is 100 Mbps.

So in this case if you can suggest further.

Regards,

Amit Shakya

Hi amit 

Can I have your mobile number or call me at + 91-9037090371

Rajesh 

hi, i am doing ethernet 0,15 and ethernet 0,55 on vdsl but the image freezes after 15 seconds.

Hello,

Facing the same challenge on Cisco SG300 switches.

Hi 

Try to configure IGMP Snooping in SG 300 also please ensure the stream IP and Port number is different for each channels

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card