Views
Helpful
Replies

IP NAT Inside Source in the same LAN

Ayad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm asking if it's possible to configure ip nat in the LAN in the following case :

We have a centralised host to use to initiate telnet connection to wan devices (routers and switchs). the host (a cisco 2620) is the only device witch is autorized to telnet over the WAN.

For testing purposes, we need to test a program using telnet to wan routers and it cannot be done from the host. for this, we use a workstation in the same LAN as the telnet host.

the workstation cannot telnet directly WAN devices. it's possible to reroute telnet trafic from the wk to transit via the cisco 2620 and using it's adress ?

is there any way to configure IP NAT in the router ? i have tired the ip nat inside source static @ wk @ router2620 => not working

must i add an ip nat inside command under the LAN interface of 2620 ?

Please help.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

4 Replies 4

Hi,

If I understand correctly you need to telnet from an inside host to a WAN going through the 2620 (and the telnet session will be allowed only from the 2620 IP)?

If so you can configure PAT.

access-list 101 permit ip host x.x.x.x REMOTE_WAN---> x.x.x.x is the internal host

ip nat inside source list 101 interface ROUTER_INTERFACE overload

interface inside

ip nat inside

interface outside

ip nat outside

Federico.

Yes, that is what i mean. but, the workstation does'nt have the cisco 2620 as gateway.

Also, the host cisco 2610 have just only one LAN interface configured and conencted to LAN (FE0/1), i don't have two interface.

my idea, as wk and cisco 2620 are in the same LAN, is to try to forward telnet trafic from wk to transit via the router and to have it's ip address as source.

thanks for your help.

Regards,

Hi,

is it possible to setup the NAT using a cisco 2620 connected only in the LAN (FE0/0). when we add ip nat inside under fe interface, it's not working as the same interface is used to route trafic out.

In summay, the goal is to permit telnet trafic from the workstation and i must route trafic via the cisco 2620 (the autorized device) but the problem is how to have the ip of the router as the the source address ?

Thanks and regards,

Hi,

If you still need help with this please include a simple drawing and we''ll gladly help you out.

Federico.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card