cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip ospf flood-list

ashleyreed4218
Level 1
Level 1

I am learning more about ospf, but I have not come across this yet. I think this has something to do with the OSPF error that I see in my switch logs:

.Apr  9 14:40:40.893: %OSPF-4-DUP_RTRID_AREA: Detected router with duplicate router ID 192.168.33.12 in area 1

.Apr  9 14:41:01.101: %OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR: Process 100 re-originates LSA ID 10.114.10.34 type-2 adv-rtr 192.168.33.12

ROUTER_SW1#sh ip ospf flood-list

OSPF Router with ID (192.168.33.12) (Process ID 100)

Anyone have any good input?

Thank you in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ashley,

Your 1st problem is to find why you have 2 routers

in OSPF with the same ROUTER ID

That is what is generating

%OSPF-4-DUP_RTRID_AREA:

the second alarm is due to flooding of LSAs

%OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR:

This wil be causing network instability.

Find the duplicate ROUTER ID asap.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ashley,

there are two routers using the SAME OSPF router-id in area 1 of your OSPF routing domain.

This is something to be fixed as soon as possible you need to change the OSPF router-id of one of them.

The two routers are both sending their own OSPF Router LSA with the same Link-id = Router-id continously and this is called a flood war.

see troubleshooting link for duplicated OSPF RIDs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080117102.shtml

%OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR: Process %d %s LSA ID %i type-%d adv-rtr %i in area %s

Router is extensively reoriginating or flushing the LSA reported by this error message.

the show ip ospf flood-list shows the list of OSPF LSAs to be flooded out in the area and it lists the affected Router LSA.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ashley,

Your 1st problem is to find why you have 2 routers

in OSPF with the same ROUTER ID

That is what is generating

%OSPF-4-DUP_RTRID_AREA:

the second alarm is due to flooding of LSAs

%OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR:

This wil be causing network instability.

Find the duplicate ROUTER ID asap.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thanks, but do you have any input on how to find the other router with that router ID? I tried to change the ip address of the interface but I am still getting the error.

Hi Ashley, you could follow this document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080117102.shtml

Do this on routers in the ospf area to determine the router-ID being used.

Show ip ospf

Should show you the router-ids in the first line.

E.g.
Router# show ip ospf

Routing Process "ospf 201" with ID 10.0.0.1 and Domain ID 10.20.0.1

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, You have a router with a duplicate router-id on the network - so please investigate this and stop the duplicated router-id

Q.   What does the error message %OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR: Process process-id   re-originates LSA ID ip address type-2 adv-rtr   ip address in area area id means?

A. The error message is due to the some router that is flushing the       network LSA because the network LSA received by the router whose LSA ID       conflicts with the IP address of one of the router's interfaces and flushes the       LSA out of the network. For OSPF to function correctly the IP addresses of       transit networks must be unique. If it is not unique the conflicting routers       reports this error message. In the error message the router with the OSPF       router ID reported as adv-rtr reports this message.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a0080094704.shtml#wat

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ashley,

there are two routers using the SAME OSPF router-id in area 1 of your OSPF routing domain.

This is something to be fixed as soon as possible you need to change the OSPF router-id of one of them.

The two routers are both sending their own OSPF Router LSA with the same Link-id = Router-id continously and this is called a flood war.

see troubleshooting link for duplicated OSPF RIDs

%OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR: Process %d %s LSA ID %i type-%d adv-rtr %i in area %s

Router is extensively reoriginating or flushing the LSA reported by this error message.

the show ip ospf flood-list shows the list of OSPF LSAs to be flooded out in the area and it lists the affected Router LSA.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card