cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP PIM

Snydersh1_2
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to understand the 'ip pim' commands better. The way I am understanding it currently is in order to run 'pim', 'ip multicast-routing' must be enabled. Once that is enabled, you set an interface in 'sparse-mode' and designate a default RP. If this is correct; Does that mean if an interface is not configured w/ 'sparse-mode' that it will not contribute to multicasting?

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

In order to enable multicast routing over an interface, you have to configure it in either sparse, dense or sparse-dense mode.

Paresh

PS> Pls do remember to rate posts

Yes thank you but if an interface in not in 'sparse-mode' does that interface participate in multicasts? Is the interface able to recieve multicast?

It sure can. The enabling of multicast on an interface only enables sending of multicasts on that interface. You cannot control what the other end sends to it so you can certainly receive multicast packets on an interface not enabled for multicast.

Paresh

Thank you. This all stems from using Ghost. We are seeing that when Ghost (which is on its own vlan) is ran and an image is pushed to another computer in a different vlan, systems on neither of the two vlans are affected. I need to stop this from happening but still be able to use Ghost in production on the network.

A simple access-list that denies traffic to the relevant multicast destinations should be able to stop that. Enable it on the first router that the multicast traffic hits...

PK

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card