Views
Helpful
Replies

ip routing command on C3750X Layer 3 switch stack

rdoreleijers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys/girls,

I need to add a routable layer 3 interface to a C3750X stack in a production environment.

Currently IP routing is not being used, and also not activated yet.

Will the "ip routing" command trigger any event that can interrupt network availability?

Model: WS-C3750X-24      
SW version: 15.0(2)SE6

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

BTW, I believe to deal with the issue Rick described, you can define a static default route to the same address as used by the default gateway, before you enable IP routing.

Also, as Adawa notes, you may need IP Base, or better, feature set image and license to activate IP routing.  (Licensing and feature set also have other considerations when working with a stack.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, rdoreleijers. 

Enabling "ip routing" without routing any specific specific addresses shouldn't be an issue and should cause no interruption on your network. I recommend backing up your IOS image just to make sure, before making any changes. Do you already have an IP Base software image downloaded on your 3750X? If not, you may still need to purchase the upgrade license from LAN Base or to IP Base/IP Services. 

Let me know if you have additional concerns or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards.  

When you enable ip routing on the 3750 it will stop using its ip default-gateway command and will start expecting to find a route in its routing table for remote subnets and networks. The good news is that this will not affect its forwarding of layer 2 traffic. So if it is working fine now to forward user traffic then it will work fine after enabling routing for user traffic.

But enabling routing might affect your connection to the switch, especially if your connection to the switch is from a remote network. You should give some thought to whether this is an issue or not as you plan the implementation of routing on the 3750.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

BTW, I believe to deal with the issue Rick described, you can define a static default route to the same address as used by the default gateway, before you enable IP routing.

Also, as Adawa notes, you may need IP Base, or better, feature set image and license to activate IP routing.  (Licensing and feature set also have other considerations when working with a stack.)

rdoreleijers
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card