Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSLA Path Jitter monitoring

muzahyd2508
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I wanted to view/monitor the jitter statistics by doing a snmpwalk. The problem is that snmpwalk returns back a zero for *all* the jitter related OIDs. I have been looking the SNMP object - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.5.2.1.x (rttMonLatestJitterOperEntry) for the IPSLA jitter numbers. Refer to

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.5.2.1&translate=Translate&submitValue=SUBMIT&submitClicked=true

Currently, the two IPSLA operation types that have configured in the router is "path-jitter" and "icmp-echo". It seems Solarwinds is able to monitor few Jitter statistics. (Well, I dont have direct access to the Solarwinds tool out here). Here is snippet of the Solarwinds IPSLA config :-

ip sla 40006

path-jitter <IP> source-ip <IP>

vrf pub

owner SW.IpSla.VA1-SOLAR.SolarWindsOrion

frequency 300

ip sla schedule 40006 life forever start-time now ageout 0

ip sla 40007

path-jitter <IP> source-ip <IP>

vrf pub

frequency 300

ip sla schedule 40007 life forever start-time now ageout 0

ip sla 40010

icmp-echo <IP> source-ip <IP>

frequency 300

timeout 180000

threshold 400

ip sla schedule 40010 life forever start-time now ageout 3600

A Cisco white paper -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk362/tk920/technologies_white_paper09186a00802d5efe_ps6602_Products_White_Paper.html

-  in the section - " The Cisco IOS IP Service Level Agreements RTTM on MIB " points out the following - "The Cisco Response Time Monitor MIB (Cisco-RTTMON-MIB.my) is the MIB used for IP SLAs. The only Cisco IOS IP SLAs operations that are not supported are Frame relay, Path Jitter, and ATM operations."  Am I not seeing any numbers while doing a snmpwalk through the jitter OIDs because "Path Jitter" is not supported and that happens to be the only jitter-related operation type configured in the router ?

As I researched this a bit more, I got to know that for "Path Jitter" IPSLA operation type, the only way to grab statistic/performance numbers is at the router CLI. Is that correct ? If this is so, I might have to establish a remote connection to the router, execute the command "show ip sla monitor statistics <IPSLA_PROBE_ID>" at the router CLI, and parse out the results. 

Any inputs  would be very helpful !

Thanx !

- mahesh,.

1 Reply 1

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Try looking into rtr for link analysis. I think it has much better support for MIBs.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card