wsalomon75
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Here is my setup:
1st Floor: ISP IPTV Connection > Catalyst 9300 >

2nd Floor: Catalyst 9300 >

3rd Floor: Catalyst 9300 > Catalyst 9500 > 6807 Core

I'm currently having issues with the IPTV not working on the second/third floors of the building. When a set top box is placed on the 1st floor directly connected to the ISP device, it works. I have set up a VLAN 125 for this specifically, and have added the following to all 3 floors: #>ip igmp snooping

On the core, I have added:

#>int VLAN 125

#>ip pim sparse-mode

#>ip igmp version 2

#>ip igmp snooping

Running a test on the second floor, I get nothing. I don't have a IPTV server or anything. Could this be the issue? Am I missing something?

23 Replies 23

Ip igmp snooping queries 

Add this to second floor SW and check.

MHM

All I could do was: ip igmp snooping quierer

I did that, and asked them to test. Will report back.

Did not work. They are still not getting a signal.

Sorry

Add this to first floor sw

Ip igmp snooping queries 

(Note:-remove it from second floor sw)

Check if not work 

Then add in 

Second floor sw

Ip igmp snooping vlan x mroutrt interface (interface connect sw floor 1 to 2)

MHM

Ok, so here's an update to the diagram:

1st floor > 3rd floor 9300

2nd floor > 3rd floor 9300

3rd floor 9300 > 9500 > 6807

The first part of your last reply didn't work. Where should I be doing the mrouter config at in this updated diagram?

Ok' the SW connect to IPTV source' 

Do config on any SW connect to this SW and select interface that point to That SW.

Note:- try in one sw then apply to all.

MHM

Quick question for you. Does the VLAN have to have an IP assigned to it? I currently do not have an IP assigned to VLAN 125 since the ISP is assigning a 192.168.0.0/16 address.

No need' it issue of igmp snooping.

MHM

Ok, tried it. No signal again. I even went back and ip igmp snooping vlan 125 mrouter int X to the core from all of the floors and that didn't work.

Then last solution that I dont like 

Disable ip igmp snooping in SW.

Why I dont like it make SW flood multicast to all port.

But let try to make sure that issue with snooping or not.

MHM

Turn2
Level 1
Level 1

Are all of your devices in the building on the same vlan (125)? If so, you don't really need to enable multicast routing and don't need the IP pim sparse-mode command. All you need to do is enable the ip igmp querier on one switch on the VLAN (the 6807 would be a good idea) , and IP IGMP snooping on all of the L2 switches (should be enabled by default anyway). 

If you do have multiple VLANs and IP networks, or just want to enable multicast routing anyway, then enable multicast routing (IP multicast-routing), add the "IP pim sparse-mode" command to each VLAN, and define a rendezvous point on your core switch (e.g. create a loopback interface, give it an IP address, and use the command "IP pim rp-address x.x.x.x"). Oh, and yes, you would need an IP address assigned to the VLAN in this case.

No, not all devices are on the same VLAN 125. We have multiple VLANS in the building. Could you clarify where I would need to do these commands? On the floor 9300 switches, 6807 core, or both? Could you help me with a step-by-step? I'd appreciate it!

If all of your routing is being done on the 6807, then here is all that would need to be done there:

#6807(config)>ip multicast-routing

#6807(config)>interface loopback0 (or any number)

#6807(config-if)>ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252 (or whatever address you want)

#6807(config-if)>exit

#6807(config)>ip pim rp-address 10.0.0.1

Then in each of your VLAN interfaces that you want to use multicast on, enter:

#6807(config-if)>ip pim sparse-mode

There shouldn't be anything required on the 9300's other than IGMP snooping, which is enabled by default.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card