cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 on LANs

mark.jeffers
Level 1
Level 1

I manage a decent size LAN(s) with several VLANs via IPv4. I’m beginning to research IPv6 to determine if and when my organization may need to begin migrating. After much searching, I’m still having a problem finding an answer to the first and most basic question. Does a LAN need to migrate to IPv6 and if so, why? The private 10 network has plenty of address space for my organization so address space with IPv4 is not an issue. I believe it will be more of an issue with my IPv4 network communicating with the WWW once the majority of it migrates to IPv6. I would like to get some confirmation and/or more definitive answers to the question. Thank you for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

I suppose nobody is answering because, really, the question of "IPv6 on a LAN?" is basically identical to the question "IPv6 at all?" The presence of IPv6 is not, in my humble opinion, driven by the fact it shall be run over a LAN. First and foremost, the questions you have to answer yourself are:

• Do you have enough (public) IPv4 addresses?
  • Are there any parts of Internet you need to speak to via IPv6 that won't ever get an IPv4 address?
  • Are there any specific reasons why you would use IPv6 to talk to a device? For example, do you have any devices that support only IPv6?

You know, there are many mechanisms that try to delay the inevitable running out of IPv4 addresses and we are stretching very far to keep our neat well-known and well-tested IPv4 running. Still, at some point in the future, we will need to migrate, so at least getting operational experience with IPv6 is always a good thing. So if you are thinking about "IPv6 at all?" then - yes, definitely, go for it and get your hands dirty with it. But asking whether it will solve any problems - well, that depends on whether you have any problems at all For sure, it will bring some new problems along

I am not sure if this answers your question but please feel free to discuss anything you'd like.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mark.jeffers
Level 1
Level 1

I'm hoping this is a difficult question rather than a stupid question.

Can someone throw me a bone and let me know if this is a really poor question or is it simply not an important enough subject to care about?

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

I suppose nobody is answering because, really, the question of "IPv6 on a LAN?" is basically identical to the question "IPv6 at all?" The presence of IPv6 is not, in my humble opinion, driven by the fact it shall be run over a LAN. First and foremost, the questions you have to answer yourself are:

• Do you have enough (public) IPv4 addresses?
  • Are there any parts of Internet you need to speak to via IPv6 that won't ever get an IPv4 address?
  • Are there any specific reasons why you would use IPv6 to talk to a device? For example, do you have any devices that support only IPv6?

You know, there are many mechanisms that try to delay the inevitable running out of IPv4 addresses and we are stretching very far to keep our neat well-known and well-tested IPv4 running. Still, at some point in the future, we will need to migrate, so at least getting operational experience with IPv6 is always a good thing. So if you are thinking about "IPv6 at all?" then - yes, definitely, go for it and get your hands dirty with it. But asking whether it will solve any problems - well, that depends on whether you have any problems at all For sure, it will bring some new problems along

I am not sure if this answers your question but please feel free to discuss anything you'd like.

Best regards,

Peter

That's very helpful. Thanks Peter!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card