cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IRB BVI #

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

If I bridge two interfaces on my router using IRB, does it really matter what bridge-group or bvi interface number is used?

Management traffic is using Vlan6 on the connected bridges.

All is fully operational but perhaps I am missing some important point?

Should it be correctly setup using bridge-group 6 and interface bvi6 or does it really matter?

THANKS

Frank

Example of current setup

F0/0

!

F0/0.6

Description MANAGMENT

encapsulation dot1q 6 native

ip address 192.168.0.1 /24

!

F0/0.10

Description End-Users

encapsulation dot1q 10

bridge-group 1

!

F0/0.20

Description Servers

encapsulation dot1q 20

bridge-group 1

!

interface bvi1

ip address 192.168.1.1 /24

!

bridge irb

bridge 1 protocol ieee

bridge 1 route ip

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Franck,

the BVI number points to the bridge-group number and so they must match in a working configuration

in other words: there is no explicit command to associate a BVI to a bridge-group so the match is required

It is the same like in a multilayer switch with SVIs: the L3 interface vlan X refers to broadcast domain vlan X ( L2 concept)

in IRB the BVI plays the role of SVI in a multilayer switch it provides L3 services you couldn't route without IRB, you are bridging IPv4 within bridge-group 1 interfaces and you can route IPv4 from bridge-group 1 to/from other L3 interfaces via the associated BVI.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I wonder about the native Vlan;  in my case vlan 6--- [F0/0.6 encapsulation dot1q 6 native].  I wonder if there is a vlan/STP mismatch that causes STP (ieee) to become a broadcast like when you connect Cisco switches to non-Cisco switches?

Thanks

Frank

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card