cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is a Cat 6506 w/ Policy cards VS-F6K-PFC3C and Daughterboard VS-F6K-MSFC3 a candidate for Sup Redundancy Mode?

patramirezort
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The company where I work have a Catalyst 6506-E chassis with two supervisor engines 720, currently only the man Supervisor Engine is working.

I am planing to implement the Redundancy Supervisor Engine, while I was investigating I found an article that says Sup engine, routing engine, and forwarding engine models must be the same on both modules for redundancy to be supported. This Switch have identical cards mentioned above but the article that does not provide information about the Forward Engine that the company swith have.

This article only mention the Forward Engine PFC3 ( WS-F6K-PFC3A) but this switch has a different type.

:

Switch#sh module
Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.
5 Sup Engine 720 10GE (Active) VS-S720-10G 
6 Sup Engine 720 10GE (Cold) VS-S720-10G 

Mod     Model Serial Hw Status
5  Policy Feature Card        VS-F6K-PFC3C 
5  MSFC3 Daughterboard   VS-F6K-MSFC3 
6  Policy Feature Card 3     VS-F6K-PFC3C 
6  MSFC3 Daughterboard   VS-F6K-MSFC3 

Kindly can someone mention if these Policy Feature Cards are able to handle Redundancy Supervisor configuration?

Thank you.

Reference article:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/23135-151.html?referring_site=bodynav

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Looking at the "show module" you posted above, these sups and all the hardware components are exactly the same. So, I don't see any issue with sup redundant here. Also, make sure you have the exact same software version installed in both sups. You also want to configure SSO. Once configured, verify using "sh redundancy" 

HTH

Oh yes, I am aware that both IOS images must match and the SSO configuration but have this doubt with the Policy Feature Card since article do not mentioned the specific card type.

Thank you for your reply!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card