Views
Helpful
Replies

Is an Unmanaged switch actually a Hub?

Rahul Koul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I want to know what is an Unmanaged Switch? Is it a Hub or not is what I want to know actually.

We know a Hub has one collision and one broadcast domain so let' say if I connect multiple devices to a Hub and if even two of them try to send at the same time there will be a collison causing data corruption etc. Now, if an Unmanaged switch is nothing but a Hub then wouldn't I face the same problem if two or more than two devices try to send or receice at the same time?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bgroves
Level 1
Level 1

With a hub all workstations are essentially on the same wire and every port sees every packet.

A switch will build mac address tables and forward most traffic intelligently.

So a dumb switch isn't a hub.

I guess you could say the switch, even a toy one, operates more at layer 2 in the OSI model where the hub is purely layer 1.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

bgroves
Level 1
Level 1

With a hub all workstations are essentially on the same wire and every port sees every packet.

A switch will build mac address tables and forward most traffic intelligently.

So a dumb switch isn't a hub.

I guess you could say the switch, even a toy one, operates more at layer 2 in the OSI model where the hub is purely layer 1.

Dear all i m explain deference between hub and un managed switch 

HUB. hub is a un managed device it using in basic connectivity use of hub in large network it not good because hub is a broadcast device if sender send any packet in network it is passing through hub then hub send packet with all device which are connected with and which device packet it will accept now in large network if happening like that it is creating traffic in network and our network will be busy also second device need to send packet it will be wait so first hub create network traffic.

Unmanaged Switch. un managed switch working like first it do broadcast and and then it will create a table of all device in network and second time it will do unicast means second send by switch only to particular who need this packet switch do that with help of table that is why switch is a intelligent device.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

An unmanaged switch is one you cannot configure (i.e. you cannot manage it, ergo its unmanaged).  It is not a hub.  BTW, there are (or were) manageable hubs.

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Rahul,

An un-managed switch is not an hub. I've a cyber-cafe.... earlier my LAN was built using Hubs, however i've replaced them with un-managed switches.

I see a lot of difference in the speed of my LAN. And i don't think the unmanaged switches maintain a MAC table. I believe the difference between those two is: Hub acts like a bus topology, whereas the un-managed switch acts like a star topology. And even hub operate at 10mbps whereas an un-managed switch can operate between 10-100 mbps. The unmanaged switch helped a lot for me to enhance my cafe..

While using hubs the video streaming was very slow it is used to stop for every few mins then again buffer like this... but now there is no latency at all using unmanageble switches.

Please don't forget to rate the helpful posts.

Regards,
Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Hi,

And i don't think the unmanaged switches maintain a MAC table

That would mean they would flood all the time so basically act like hubs and in this case I don't think you would have seen a performance increase in your network

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Cadet,

I'm not sure about it.. but i can say my network performance enhanced exponentially. So i might have to agree with you in this case since if they don't have MAC table then they'll flood you are right.

But is there any way to see their MAC table ?

Regards,
Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Hi,

As they are unmanaged , no you can't view the MAC table but if they flood everything you will see it by sniffing on another PC linked to the switch, if it doesn't flood unicast you'll only see unknown unicast frames but not known unicast frames.

Regards

Alain

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

An unmanaged switch is just that, unmanaged.

Its still a switch in that it maintains a MAC addresss table and forwards frames based on this.

A hub and an unmanaged switch are not the same thing.

Rahul Koul
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone for your replies! You have cleared my doubt!

P.S. I have rated all the posts that I found helpful!

Cheers,

Rahul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card