cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to create a mixed 3750 switch stack with crytographic (k9) and not cryptographic images?

martinezaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I am trying to add a 3750x to a stack. It is a mixed stack and all the members only use non-cryptographic IPBASE images. 

Switch   Ports  Model              SW Version              SW Image            

------   -----  -----              ----------              ----------          

1   52     WS-C3750G-48TS     12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPBASE-M      

2   52     WS-C3750G-48TS     12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPBASE-M      

*    3   30     WS-C3750E-24PD     12.2(35)SE5             C3750E-UNIVERSAL-M  

I am trying to add the below 

WS-C3750X-48P      12.2(55)SE10           C3750E-IPBASEK9-M   

As you can see the 3750x I am trying to add has the IPBASEK9 image. Does anyone have a mixed cryptographic/non-cryptographic image environment.

These will not stack. The stack does not even seem to recognize the switch is there at all or gives version mismatch.

Is there a way I can downgrade the IPBASEK9 to just IPBASE? I am not in a position to get a K9 license for the other switches.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Hello

As far as I can see , they are not compatible to stack , Looks like only universal and ipbasek9 ios available for the WS-C3750X-48P

3750 software 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Stack feature is a model-based, not software-based. Theoretically it should be possible, however I do not quite understand why. Ideally your stack needs to run same software version to avoid odd functionality. 

More information you could find here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swstack.pdf

In your particular case you can download image from your stack and exchange it on your new stack member and add it to your main stack either through LAN or console (it will be long and painful).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My guess would be the issue is stack protocol code in (55)SE10 likely not compatible with (35)SE5. (You can find out more about that in nixpengu1n's second reference.) I believe you can have a K9 image mixed with non K9 images.

As nixpengu1n suggested, you might downgrade your 3750X using your 3750E's IOS. (I believe this is allowed by Cisco's licensing. Ideally, it would be better to upgrade all your units to 55SE10, but unless your units have an active maintenance contract [which might currently be totally unavailable for your older 3750s], that would, I believe, be a license violation.)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card