cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is meshing switches as easy as as running additional fiber and trunking the ports?

tnormanCisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a hub and spoke topology. I also have a couple of switches connected to other switches and not home run back to the core. Can I simply run additional fiber from the "extended" switch back to another switch and trunk the ports?

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Generally, the answer is yes.  Also, if you're not running multiple VLANs, you don't even need to trunk.  If you do have multiple VLANs, consider pruning.

For performance, if possible, avoid long daisy chains of switches; try to keep to a hierarchy.

Lastly, redundancy, i.e. using multiple paths, creates additional considerations for how you might want to interconnect switches.

Thanks Joseph.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card