cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the firewall in a Cisco 880 enough to protect my VPN

lucieoehlmann
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having vendors trying to scare me into replacing my Cisco routers ("which do nothing but route and don't have any security features") with Sonicwall or Netasq products which have more sophisticated firewalls, Internet filters and other features.

I've got two offices with routers the small (4 people) has a Cisco 880 which was installed jan 2013 and the big (11 people) has a Cisco 877 which has worked faithfully for ten years but which I am planning to replace. The 877 provided wi-fi for our 250m² ground floor as well and I'm quite keen that its replacemment fulfill the same function.

The vpn contains essentially an AD and a database and about 50 mobile users in various countries use it with a software client as well.

So to summarise this newbie administrator would like your advice:

When I read the specs it seems to me that there is a firewall in the 880, even a statefull firewall: surely this should be enough to keep my VPN safe?

If so which model would you recommend for my "big" office?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me

Lucie

2 Replies 2

ageralde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi lucieoehlmann, i see that you are looking at replacing your current ISR, you may check the ISR 891W(http://cs.co/9004iebA), also with built in firewall and supports high performance. Feel free to message me for further assistance. Hope this helps! :)

Hi lucieoehlmann, i see that you are looking at replacing your current ISR, you may check the ISR 891W(http://cs.co/9004iebA), also with built in firewall and supports high performance. Feel free to message me for further assistance. Hope this helps! :)

I have no idea who you are or what business unit (I think you must be from sales) you work for, but I'd like to recommend you be careful what you are doing.  

1.  Cisco has announced the End-of-Sale/End-of-Support for 891/892 (including wireless variety).  The model number you've quoted, 891W, is included.  

2.  Without knowing the technical details, like networking topology or WAN bandwidth, I'd be reluctant to recommend anything.  You're the one with a "Cisco" logo.  Consider what would happen when someone follows your recommendation and it doesn't work.  He could potentially go back to the seller (or social media) and ... well, you know how the rest of the story will go. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card