cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Isolated VLAN

ben robin
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to set a isolated VLAN on multiple switches (nexus 5548), I would like to create such VLAN so its members can be accessible only from the same VLAN members. the setting is some end devices belonging to the same VLAN in the configuration below:

end-devices---2xswitches===2xswitches----end-devices

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SVI is needed only in the case that you need to permit traffic from/to devices that are outside your VLAN (for example to be used as default gateway). Devices located in the same VLAN on different switches, if configured correctly, are able to forward traffic to each other. In that sense, "normal" VLAN is isolated from all other hosts outside specific VLAN if SVI is not present and IP address is not assign to it.

I am deliberately ignoring the fact that VLAN can still have attached L3 device to one of its ports that can be used for routing (instead of SVI)...

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there a reason you can just create a normal VLAN and place all of those devices into it?

A normal VLAN will bereachable through the network, which i dont want.

Normal VLAN would be reachable through network only if there is interface VLAN (SVI) with assigned address and no filtering all traffic is configured. If there is no IP address for SVI or no SVI - VLAN can't be accessible. Even if there is SVI with IP address you can still filter all traffic on SVI (in both directions).

There is no difference between "normal" and "private VLAN". Private VLANs have different purpose (devices still can be reachable in private VLANs - depending on configuration just as it is in "normal" VLAN).

Thanks for answering crni00000, in case if I set up no VLAN interface I am afraid the VLAN wont be reachable for other VLAN members connected to other switches.

SVI is needed only in the case that you need to permit traffic from/to devices that are outside your VLAN (for example to be used as default gateway). Devices located in the same VLAN on different switches, if configured correctly, are able to forward traffic to each other. In that sense, "normal" VLAN is isolated from all other hosts outside specific VLAN if SVI is not present and IP address is not assign to it.

I am deliberately ignoring the fact that VLAN can still have attached L3 device to one of its ports that can be used for routing (instead of SVI)...

Hello

Do you require these vlan users to access the outside world? if so then a Routed acl (RACL) would be appllicable assigned to the SVI of the Vlan your wish to segragate, otherwise a simple L2 vlan with no L3 interface would be applicable.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you, I will go with the L2 Vlan solution.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card