cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4000 Series - 4331 Boot Failure - ROMMON not loading?

D00677281
Level 1
Level 1

Our organization has recently had 2 Cisco ISR 4331's fail with identical symptoms.

Has anyone else run into a similar issue with this model, and/or do you have any advice on how to proceed? 

- Both were in service when they failed unexpectedly. No upgrades or configuration changes were occurring when the failures happened. At the time each failed, one was located in Illinois, the other in Massachusetts. We have 14 ISR 4331's in service.

Symptoms:

- When the router powers on:

- PWR light starts amber and turns to green

- TEMP and FAN lights start amber and then quickly turn green

- STAT light continuously flashes amber the entire time the router is powered on.

- If the router is left on, the PWR, TEMP, and FAN lights will simultaneously flash amber about every 15-30 seconds and then go back to green. The fans change their tone when this happens too, so I suspect the router is power cycling itself.

- If I take out the DDR3 ram sticks and power on the router, the lights go through the same cycle.

The EN console light below the RJ45 port is lit green, but if I plug my PC into the USB port, the USB EN light lights up. 

The router appears to be power cycling itself before ROMMON loads, but I cannot find documentation on how to troubleshoot this further. There is no output from the console port or the aux port or the USB console port, and break commands are not working. 

I have referred to the following documents. The first led me to conclude the ROMMON is not loading, and the second is not applicable because the ROMMON is not loading. 

1. ISR 4000 Power Troubleshooting guide

2. Troubleshoot ISR 4000 Stuck in ROMMON

17 Replies 17

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into the router and reboot.  Post the entire boot-up process.  We would like to see what error messages pop up during this stage as it is a wealth of information.

The router is not booting at all. Nothing happens when I plug in the console cable. There are no error messages or boot messages or anything.

Get them RMA-ed.

rufjame01
Level 1
Level 1

We have three ISR 4331/K9s in an Identical Situation. Three sites across the country within a month had to have devices replaced due to the same issue stated about. All three devices were outside the RMA period though...

If you don't mind my asking, did Cisco replace them for you, or did you have to pay for the replacements out of pocket?

martin.sweeney
Level 1
Level 1

I have had five 4351s fail in the last month with the exact same symptoms you have mentioned. The POST has detected an error and will not allow the boot rom to execute..I suspect.

Hi Martin

It is possible bootup without open RMA?

I would say this is an inherent manufacturing fault that should be raised with Cisco. 

how would you advise going about "raising" this issue with Cisco? Just their main support line? 

D00677281
Level 1
Level 1

Follow up: In case anyone was wondering, replacing the power supply does not fix the problem. 

nswdata01
Level 1
Level 1

I have had 5 of these units doing exactly the same as you mention above. they were all purchased in around 2015 so are not under warranty or smartnet.

Has there been a bug raised by cisco on this?

I will be raising a case with Cisco.

Awesome! Keep us posted! I'll see if I can raise one too here in a few days.

nswdata01
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco has raised a field notice on this issue:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html#~field,

If your unit is under warranty you are in luck, if no warranty then your out of luck.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card