Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4321 Image Upload Causes Flash Disk Quota Exceeded

TechService
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

Before I copied a new image to flash on the ISR 4321, I checked for space available...

Router#show bootflash:
<< snip...many files... >>

2502172672 bytes available (487784448 bytes used)

I copied the new image to  bootflash on the ISR 4321. After the file copied, the router generated this message...

"*Oct 4 15:24:14.470: %FLASH_CHECK-3-DISK_QUOTA: SIP0: flash_check.sh: Flash disk quota exceeded [free space is 1964604 kB] - Please clean up files on bootflash."

When I check flash again...

Router#show bootflash:
< snip... many files... >
2011754496 bytes available (978202624 bytes used)

It appears that there is a discrepancy between what was reported in the error message, and what is reported by the show bootflash: / show flash: command. Can anyone explain this discrepancy and help me to determine whether or not I need to take any remedial actions?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Not sure how much space you would need but I also think it depends on the size of the config file you have.  The larger the config file the more space you would need. I think after the upgrade if you delete the old IOS the log messages should go away.

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Looking at the output you provided, you have used 978Mb available out of a 3Gig total flash card. You also have over 2 Gig of space available.

2011754496 bytes available (978202624 bytes used) 

See this document regarding the error message 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/software/configuration/guide/isr4400swcfg/bm_isr_4400_sw_config_guide_chapter_01000.html

BootFlash Disk Monitoring

The bootflash disk must have enough free space to store two core dumps. This condition is monitored, and if the bootflash disk is too small to store two core dumps, a syslog alarm is generated, as shown in the following example:

Aug 22 13:40:41.038 R0/0: %FLASH_CHECK-3-DISK_QUOTA: Flash disk quota exceeded 
[free space is 7084440 kB] - Please clean up files on bootflash.

HTH

Hello

Thank you for this information - that does explain the source of the error.  Do you know how much space needs to be made available in the bootflash to provide the necessary space for two core dump files?

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure how much space you would need but I also think it depends on the size of the config file you have.  The larger the config file the more space you would need. I think after the upgrade if you delete the old IOS the log messages should go away.

HTH

Reza,

Thank you for your help! 

Best Regards!

You are welcome.  Glad to help and good luck!

By design, this message is generated on an ISR platform when the amount of used flash space is higher than half of the total DRAM on the device.

This means, on an ISR4000 series router with 4GB of total DRAM this message will show up when the amount of free bootflash space drops below 2GB.

Hi,

I have the same issue, what is the directory of the logs in the bootflash that can be deleted?

LH

Chimeluiz
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar issue with the ISR1100 & the ISR 4300 after installing the SD-wan software, I was getting errors along this line

%FLASH_CHECK-3-DISK_QUOTA: R0/0: flash_check: Flash disk quota exceeded [free space is 1219232 kB] - Please clean up files on bootflash

And the router was stuck in a boot loop

To resolve it, I had to use a USB drive with the universalk9 ios-xe image and boot the router to the image on the USB.

boot usb0:isr4300-universalk9.16.12.04.SPA.bin

The router then boots up using the regular IOS-XE software,

I then format the bootflash:

format bootflash:

Then I copy the SD-WAN software from USB to the bootflash:

copy usb0:isr4300-ucmk9.16.12.4.SPA.bin bootflash:isr4300-ucmk9.16.12.4.SPA.bin

The remaining steps are as contained in the link below to install the SD-WAN image

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/sdwan-xe-gs-book/hardware-and-software-installation.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_e8227b49-018a-406f-806f-8c6585191318

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card