Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with archiving IOS version on Stack Cisco 3750

Igor Koval
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Could you please advise me what can be wrong.

I have stack on Cisco 3750v2-48ps. I want to connect additional switch, model is the same, but IOS is different.

I've decided to use command "archive upload-sw tft://xx.xx.xx.xx/image.tar", 

but it always gives me an error:

Switch#archive upload-sw tftp://xx.xx.xx.xx/image.tar

!

System software to be uploaded:
System Type:             0x00000000
Warning: Unable to determine image running!

Could you please adivse me what can be wrong?

Thank you in advance,

Igor

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please follow this document to add the switch to the stack.  Before adding it, you need to load the same exact IOS as the stack to the switch with the same license level.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html#stack3

HTH

that is what I am trying to do.

I am trying to donwload IOS on the TFTP server from Stack and upload this IOS to new switch.

But, when I am trying to download IOS, it give me an error "Warning: Unable to determine image running!"

Just download the IOS from Cisco.com and then load it to the switch.

Igor

I have two suggestions that I hope might be helpful.

1) Perhaps it would help to specify which switch should be the source for the copy using syntax like this

archive upload-sw /source-system-num 6 tftp://172.20.140.2/test-image.tar

You can look at this link for additional details

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12-2_55_se/command/reference/3750ecr/cli1.html#wp1859762

I am not optimistic that this would solve your issue but it is worth trying.

2) Is it possible that the software was installed on the stack switches as a bin file and not as a tar file? This would load the bin file but not the HTML and other files and would let the switch run but not support the enhanced graphical interface. If you show flash or dir flash do you see the bin file in the directory or do you see a directory entry showing a folder which contains the files? If you see the bin file in the directory then that explains why the archive upload-sw is having problems in finding what to copy. In that case you can just use the copy flash: tftp: to copy the bin file and then load that to the switch that will join the stack.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Everyone,

Richard was right. The IOS being a .bin file, we will have to run the copy flash: tftp: command.

The show version output gaave me this - 

System image file is "flash:/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E3/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E3.bin"

After which just use the following. It works like a charm !

Source filename [c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E3]? c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E3/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E3.bin
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.0.3
Destination filename [c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E3.bin]?

So basically, we need to instruct the process that the source file (.bin) is inside a folder.

Cheers,

Ronak

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card