Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with C1000 entering Configuration Setup Wizard

RF-Emer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

with 3x C1000 managed switches on the table I have difficulties entering the Configuration Setup Wizard. 

I followed the Cisco Catalyst 1000 Series 24-Port and 48-Port Switch Hardware Installation Guide by pressing the button for 3-4 seconds after power up and led illuminating steady green and then connecting the eth cable.

However, it seems not to work reliably and makes it impossible to use the web-UI.

Further, I am missing the enable password line in the configuration setup wizard.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RF-Emer
Level 1
Level 1

In the config file "config.text" was a line called: service config

This lead to the automated tries to load the config file via tftp://255.255.255.255/<varying config file names>

Either by removing the line in the config file or by doing following calls on console the issue disappears:

Cisco#configure terminal

Cisco(config)#no service config

Cisco(config)#end

Cisco#reload

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

pieterh
VIP
VIP

did you follow al steps described in:

Step 1   Verify that no devices are connected to the switch. Initially, the switch acts as a DHCP server. If your PC has a static IP address, before you begin, you should change your PC settings to temporarily use DHCP.
Step 2   Verify that POST has completed by confirming that the STAT LED is solid green. If the switch fails POST, the STAT LED turns amber.
Step 3   Press and hold the Mode button for 3 seconds. When all of the LEDs above the Mode button turn green, release the Mode button immediately.
Note    Continuing to hold the Mode button after the LEDs have turned green, exits the Setup mode.
Step 4   Connect a straight-through Category 5 Ethernet cable to a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port on the switch front panel and to the Ethernet port on the PC.
Step 5   Verify that the LEDs on both Ethernet ports are green.
Step 6   Wait 30 seconds.
Step 7   Enter the IP address 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.3 in the Web browser, on your PC. On Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR switches, if you have connected to a downlink access port, enter the IP address 10.0.2.1.
Step 8   Enter the following default credentials: username: cisco, password: cisco and press EnterThe Configuration Setup wizard is displayed.

especially look at the timing in step-3 and step-6

RF-Emer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pieter,

I follow the Cisco Catalyst 1000 Series 24-Port and 48-Port Switch Hardware Installation Guide and yours above which are very similar. Unfortunately, I did not succeed.

By the way once on the switch it worked before I started this request. However, after finishing Configuration Setup Wizard there seemed to be an issue  with user name or password I used, so that I could not enter to the webUI.

Trying to set the switch into factory default, I once followed an instruction saying to delete config.text file, which I did. The Configuration Setup Wizard worked came up after some tries, but there was not more config file written. At finish of the wizard it asked me again for user name and password and day0 initialization restarted. Finally, I managed to load latest FW c1000-universalk9-mz.152-7.E7.tar which rebuilt a config.text file. But now I have difficulties to start the DHCP server by pushing the button for 3s.

I digged into internet finding all possible guides to do reliable factory reset. I also searched for a way to do this via the push button. I wonder if all documents on the Cisco page for the Catalyst 100 series are complete, as the Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15.2(7)Ex (Catalyst1000 Switches) is only showing the contents page and nothing more. Is there any hint where to find that?

Is there a document describing fully working description showing how to come to "factory default setting" via button and console?

Any help on this is very appreciated.

>>> But now I have difficulties to start the DHCP server by pushing the button for 3s. <<<
what do you mean ?
this button action does not only start a DHCP server! 
it erases the current config and reloads a config suitable for the Setup Wizard. so previous config changes are lost
this takes some time to initialize, before the DHCP server is activated

>>> Release 15.2(7)Ex (Catalyst1000 Switches) is only showing the contents page and nothing more <<<
you mean this page ?: 

pieterh_0-1682085376667.png
-> click on contents to open the contents  

pieterh_1-1682086069260.png

if this does not work, use another browser

RF-Emer
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the feedback concerning the Software Configuration Guide. I just oversaw that this is link based. I downloaded all the partial pieces of this document.

Just performed "factory-reset" via console terminal and loaded again the FW image (tar). Unfortunately, I am still struggling to have the day0 / Configuration Setup Wizard coming up as there is no IP address provided via DHCP. I was using Ubuntu 22.04 and Windows 10 Pro and two different systems, different browsers, ...

However, still the DHCP does not provide me the expected IP address 10.0.0.2.

Any help would be appreciated.

please check what network configuration you do get!
windows -> ipconfig /all
Ubuntu -> ifconfig -a

Why do you expect the 10.0.0.2 address ?
mostly a /24 subnet is used for this
-> it can be anywhere between .1 and .254 (excluding .1 and .3 as this will be reserved for the switch)
anywhere in this range is a valid address

I'll check the DHCP setting when I have a C1000 available,

yes, I did the ifconfig / ipconfig calls. but this only shows that no IP address is provided. Usually, I received the 10.0.0.2. 

Might there be any config to be checked via console on the switch that prevents the DHCP server to become active?

I just did a complete configuration on one switch and transferred and adopted the configuration to the other switches via console which worked fine. So I worked around the day0 issue I had.

There is still one issue left where following error output comes on console. Do you have any suggestion on this, how to avoid this output, where it seems the switch tries to catch configuration data via tftp? Is there some part misconfigured?

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg (Timed out)
*Apr 28 12:39:15.388: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg) failed
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg (Timed out)
*Apr 28 12:39:53.389: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg) failed
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/switchaugprodkeller-confg (Timed out)
*Apr 28 12:40:31.378: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/switchaugprodkeller-confg) failed
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/switchau.cfg (Timed out)
*Apr 28 12:41:09.379: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/switchau.cfg) failed
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg (Timed out)
*Apr 28 12:48:31.390: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg) failed
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg (Timed out)
*Apr 28 12:49:09.391: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg) failed
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/switchaugprodkeller-confg (Timed out)
*Apr 28 12:49:47.380: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/switchaugprodkeller-confg) failed
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/switchau.cfg (Timed out)
*Apr 28 12:50:25.381: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/switchau.c mkdir Create new directory

Hi RF-Emer, about "I just did a complete configuration on one switch" was this done to a C1000 switch? If yes, can you share what was done to have it configured?  I'm trying to configure new C1000-24T-4G-L.  The day0 Configuration Setup Wizard there seemed to be an issue with user name or password; after I click on Summary it prompted to enter user name and password but new and default user name and password is not recognized; and keeps on asking to enter user name and password for level 15 access...

Be aware for a new user to have all privileges you need to use level 15.
Please, also have a look to the manuals according this.

You may add a new user via web interface or via console connection.

pieterh
VIP
VIP

NB! if you paste commands or full config to the running-config, then commands are added
commands not touched by the new config remain in the configuration.

looks like PnP is still active, that's why the switch tries to load it's configuration from a PnP-server / tftp-server.
1) does the log show any other messages related to cisco PnP (plug-and-play)?
2) look for a command "pnp profile ...." in the configuration and remove

RF-Emer
Level 1
Level 1

In the config file "config.text" was a line called: service config

This lead to the automated tries to load the config file via tftp://255.255.255.255/<varying config file names>

Either by removing the line in the config file or by doing following calls on console the issue disappears:

Cisco#configure terminal

Cisco(config)#no service config

Cisco(config)#end

Cisco#reload

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card