cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues connecting a Netgear XS508M to a Cisco Catalyst 9200L

Darkorical
Level 1
Level 1

I have an existing network consisting of several Cisco Catalyst 9200L switches in a stack that are using multiple VLANs. I am not the person who manages the configuration of those switches, but for these purposes, I am attempting to get a copy of the configuration. I am attempting to add a Netgear XS508M to the system so some of the workstations can have a full 10G connection. 

The person who sets up my Cisco switches stated he opened the SFP ports on the Cisco switch I'm connecting to to allow access to any VLAN. He stated that his changes should allow the connection to work.

When I connected the two switches together via the SFP ports using the "Cable" linked below. The Netgear lights come on at two green blinking lights. The Cisco however gives a fast blinking Amber and then it goes solid Amber for a while before blinking again. According to the docs Amber on the SFP port means:

Blinking amber

Link is off due to a fault or because it has exceeded a limit set in the switch software.

Caution

Link faults occur when non-compliant cabling is connected to an SFP/SFP+ port. Use only standard-compliant cabling to connect to Cisco SFP/SFP+ ports. You must remove from the network any cable or device that causes a link fault.

Amber

Link for the SFP/SFP+/SFP28/QSFP+ has been disabled.

Cables:

https://www.amazon.com/QSFPTEK-Multimode-Transceiver-10GBASE-SR-SFP-10G-SR/dp/B07R21PCXW?th=1 

https://www.amazon.com/FLYPROFiber-Fiber-Patch-Length-Options/dp/B08BYJQXG8?th=1  

My workstations are reporting a full 10G connection to the Netgear switch.

Through my research, I've only found a suggestion on checking if the SFP Ports are set as tagged/untagged in the Cisco switch. any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I will have the configuration files soon.

UPDATE:

I have tested my SFP plugs and found them all to be functional and tested with a known working Fiber Cable.   Also, the Netgear switch has a combo port and I've tried connecting it to the Cisco switches via the RJ45 option when plugging it into a RJ45 port On the Cisco switch that is known to be open and functional. This allowed the connection to work.

At this point, I'm starting to suspect either this confirms that the configuration of the SFP port is not correct or the Netgear switch itself has a fault in its SFP port.

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the SFP you are using on the Cisco switch is purchased from an approved Cisco partner or Cisco directly. Cisco devices sometimes don't work with 3rd party SFP purchased from Amazon or other online resources.

Through my research, I've only found a suggestion on checking if the SFP Ports are set as tagged/untagged in the Cisco switch.

This is a layer-1 issue and has notring to do with tagged/untagged vlans.

HTH

I just retested with a known working SFP and got the same results.  Also, the Netgear switch has a combo port and I've tried connecting it to the Cisco switches via the RJ45 option and received the same results on the PC side of the connection when plugging it into a RJ45 port that is known to be open and functional the connection works. At this point, I'm starting to suspect either this confirms that the configuration of the SFP port is not correct or the Netgear switch itself has a fault in its SFP port. I have tested my SFP plugs and found them all to be functional and tested with a known working Fiber Cable.   

What is the exact Cisco switch model?

It is a Catalyst 9200L 48 POE+ 4x10G. Please note, I have added an update to the first post and edited my last one the short version is I have it working at 1GB by connecting via RJ45 so I think it might be a misconfigured SFP port. and as I said I don't have access to the configuration right now.

When you do a sh log, does both switches show the SFP being inserted and recognize the transceivers?

The person who configures my switch was able to look into it today and the link is failing because of an LACP failure. Given that the other switch is an unmanaged Netgear switch, I cannot turn on LACP on it. I currently know nothing about LACP or how it is utilized in our network. Is it possible to turn it off on a single port, and what kind of ramifications am I looking at if we do turn it off?

Darkorical
Level 1
Level 1

In the end the turning off LACP solved the issue. 

Thanks for the update and for sharing the solution to the issue.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card