cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Switch - How to config. routing between vlan's?

Timotej.H
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I am trying to configure L3 switch in a way that it would rout IP packets between VLAN's and as well provide Internet connection to all connected devices. I could not find solid explanation /  manual how to configure something like that. 

I would appreciate any help especially step by step config list.

Please see the picture below from PacketTracer.

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends on the device (and sometime even on firmware version) used. Follow documentation/administrators guide of the L3 switch in question.

Hello,

the L3 switch routes packets between Vlans for which you have configured SVIs (Vlan interfaces). There is no switch in Packet Tracer that can do NAT, so you need the router to do the NAT. The L3 switch needs a default route pointing to the router.

Post your Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file here, zip it first otherwise the system won't let you upload it...

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On lower end Cisco switches, you often need to configure "ip routing". Once done, switch, by default, should route between its L3 interfaces.

STEPAN JANKOVIC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

it is not possible to use normal L3 switch to do such task because (in general) L3 switches do not support Network Address Translation. You will most probably want do do other features like traffic shaping, firewall features, all this is task for router (in general software based), not for a switch (usually ASIC based). 

Regards

Stepan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card