Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 port-channel and layer 3 port-channel

olly ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Can anyone describe why I am getting a layer 2 port-channel interface in the output of "show etherchannel summary" command. But not getting layer 3 port-channel interfaces in the output of "show etherchannel summary" command.

BR/

Olly

3 Replies 3

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Because this command is specific to the ports that make up the port channel and their status. Whether or not they are operating at L2 or L3 is not relevant to this output.

"show etherchannel detail" identifies if an etherchannel is operationg in L2 or L3 mode:

Port state          = Port-channel Ag-Inuse (for L2)

Port state          = Port-channel L3-Ag Ag-Inuse (for L3)

or obviously "show ip inteface brief" to also see the IP info.

Hello,

Please allow me to join.

I have a feeling that Olly is asking about something different: He states that his L2 port-channels show up in show etherchannel summary but the L3 port-channels are missing from that output altogether. Is that correct?

If so, would it be possible to post both the output of the show etherchannel summary command, and the configuration of any single L3 port-channel that is missing from the summary output? In addition, is it possible to be more specific about the platform and the IOS version?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Peter

Hi peter,

Thanks for your kind response.

Yes peter you are absolutely right. Okay I will post the IOS version and port-channel configuration soon.

BR

Olly

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card