Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 VPN Serial - Ethernet

I have a request to support a layer 2 VPN tunnel across my network with one side on a serial port and the other side coming out a GIG-E port.  Is this possible?  If so how would I configure the MPLS tunnel?

On the serial side I have a WS-C6509E router with a serial interface

On the Ethernet side I have a WS-C6509 router with a gig interface.

Thanks in advance

Chuck

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chuck

I am not clear what you are asking for. Part of it may be just semantics and part of it may go deeper. You ask about a layer 2 VPN and mention connecting a serial and an Ethernet which suggests that you are asking about a layer 2 connection between the devices. And that would be problematic. But then you mention MPLS. If you are talking about establishing an MPLS connection then it should be quite possible to connect serial and Ethernet since the MPLS Customer Edge to Provider Edge is a layer 3 connection and the media differences do not create any problem. So can you clarify whether you are actually looking for a layer 2 connection or a layer 3 connection between serial and Ethernet?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I really appreciate the support!!

Let me expand by saying that currently we have a user doing a similar tunnel but going from Ethernet port to Ethernet port.  The configuration we used to support their needs is below:

RTR1 -

Pseudowire-class rtr1-rtr2

encapsulation l2tpv3

interworking Ethernet

ip local interface loopback0

interface gig0/0.30

encapsulation dot1q

xconnect 1.1.1.1 30 encapsulation l2tpv3 pw-class rtr1-rtr2

RTR2 -

Pseudowire-class rtr2-rtr1

encapsulation l2tpv3

interworking Ethernet

ip local interface loopback0

interface gig 0/20.30

encapsulation dot1q

xconnect 2.2.2.2 30 encapsulation dot1q l2tpv3 pw-class rtr2-rtr1

I would like to mimic this configuration, however on the rtr2 the customer request can only support a serial connection to us and I cannot turn a serial interface into a subinterface that would allow vlans thus allowing me to convert this to a l2tpv3 tunnel.  I was just wondering if there was a way to do this and an MPLS tunnel is what I came up with on google so far but have been unable to get it to work, I am however open to any suggestions.

Thank you again!

Chuck

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card