Views
Helpful
Replies

LDAP Authorization and Authentication

Rem Markov
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Fellows!

I'm not gonna lie but the Cisco Documentation of LDAP is quite bad and not useful. (And I'm still only in NX-OS I don't think catalyst is better)

I have successfully set an Authentication using this site:
https://ccierants.blogspot.com/2013/07/ccie-dc-sort-of-ldap-authentication-to.html

But I have ran into something and I can't find any answer why.
I have the local user admin but when im configuring the aaa authentication, admin is unable to access the switch.
`aaa authentication login default group local LDAP `

I suspect it is because it tries first in the AD and only then in the Local rather the the other way. Is there a way to change it?
So it will first check the local and only then the AD?

The other thing is Authorization. The documentation is even worse.
I want to make lets say the group "network-administrators" in our AD have admin access in the switch but I can't find any way to change which group has what access, it just gives me by default "network-operator" and I'm unable to do anything. 

Is there a way to change it ?
(We use IDM/IPA as our LDAP/AD)

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...I suspect it is because it tries first in the AD and only then in the Local rather the the other way. 
       - You may find out by examining the LDAP server's authentication logs and compare logs in the switch (time stamps)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

If I find this to be true, is there something to do about it ?

Can you more elaborate the issue here. 

You config nsk to ask aaa server (ladp) to check user/password for any one login to NSK.

What is not work here? 

I want to access with Admin permissions, but I'm unable, I get by default 'network-operator'. I want to have 'network-admin' but I can't find a way to change it.

Because of that the LDAP is useless

@MHM Cisco World wrote:

Can you more elaborate the issue here. 

You config nsk to ask aaa server (ladp) to check user/password for any one login to NSK.

What is not work here? 

Also, I want to find a way for the Switch to search the LDAP and then the Local or the other way around but it only looks in the LDAP.

I don't quite understand what you mean, I have many n9k switches and some catalysts. 

N9k can direct connect to ladp 

Catalyst can not direct connect to ladp' it need to connect to server (ise) and server connect to ladp.

Rem Markov
Level 1
Level 1

The main problem remain,

I want to access with Admin permissions, but I'm unable, I get by default 'network-operator'. I want to have 'network-admin' but I can't find a way to change it.

Because of that the LDAP is useless

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card