Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting bandwidth !

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all experts.

I have a 4Mb internet connection coming on my 3845 router. Following is the diagram

LAN-------------------------------R1(3845)----------------------------------------Internet

Gig0/0                  Gig0/1

Now on LAN i have on user with ip 10.1.8.15. My entire LAN is using the internet and everything is working fine. I just want to limit the internet usage (bandwidth usage) of 10.1.8.15 to 256 kpbs. Whether the 4Mb internet is completely idle, i still want to give me no more then 256k.

Right now i am confused as to use rate limit or service policy commands. As far as i remember, service policy will only come into effect when there is congestion.

I never ask for configuration but in this particular case, i can see the configuration would be simple. If possible kindly tell me what the configuration might be, if not then kindly forward me to specific doc so i can configure it.If there are other built-in IOS bandwidth management tools then pls let me know.

kindly help

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can try rate limiting that host by using an access group.

see the command reference guide for examples:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_q1.html#wp1083294

HTH

Reza

Sir, i have already done that, since it was'nt working, thats why i asked for config.

Keeping in mind the above scenario. This is my config

access-list 101 per ip any host 10.1.8.15

Since bulk of traffic will be coming in on interface Gig0/1 going to 10.1.8.15. so the direction would be input (i think)

rate-limit input access-group 101 256000 1500 2000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Its not working :-(

Rate-limit is applied before or after the NAT ? since i am doing nat, does this has anything to do with it ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card