Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

limiting upload in cisco 7606 router

Good morning all,

This scenario belongs to one ISP

user is corporate client and received public. They are using this public ip to upload large files such as 100MB in youtube.

After their video upload public will watch those videos in their youtube channel. The content should be the same in TV channel and youtube channel.

user is subscribed to 10MBps bandwidth. Their upload size varies between 50MB to more than 100MB.

sometimes they are able to upload 100MB file into youtube channel in short span like 10 minutes to 20 minutes.

sometimes it is taking more than 3 hours to 6 hours. Download speed is about 1MBps. using testspeed.net i tested.

In testspeed.net upto 25MB upload is occurring without any problem. But when we start using 50MB file upload it is taking long time like hours.

The same thing happens while uploading in youtube also.

I have bellow doubt?

What is the possibility by isp in routers by  limiting serial port/ ethernet port/XGIG port in uploading file size and the same in switch also.

As a team member i do not have the permissions to login to cisco 7606 currently.

we are using microtek router also.

Please help me.

Regards

suresh cisco certified CCNA 224125627

1 Reply 1

Hi Suresh,

Your ISP could maybe limit file size by using deep packet inspection (DPI) or maybe a (next-gen?) firewall but I doubt it.

ISP usually only enforce bandwidth on an Internet link so the actual bit rate is being "policed" here and not the size of the files sent on the link.

Large file transfers may be having issue when you are using high latency links. Any packet loss will seriously affect the time the transfer takes.

You could run Wireshark while transferring the large file and see if you have packet loss and TCP retransmission.

Using Wireshark for this purpose requires a deeper understanding of the TCP protocol and especially what your host’s implementation of TCP does when packet loss occurs.

I suggest you try to ping and trace to remote host at different time during the day so you get an idea of the latency. Is it usually the same or does it sometimes increase spontaneously? Do you have packet loss? If so you may be able to sort it out with your ISP if the problem is on their network.

If you have access to any statistics on the link usage (SNMP-based reports like MRTG, cacti and the lot.) then look for bandwidth usage including packets per second seen when you are experiencing problems. Maybe someone else is initiating a large file transfer and there is contention for bandwidth?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

JF

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card