cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link between HSRP Link fail

gihansvn24
Level 1
Level 1

We have Two 6500s in core layer. HSRP is configured between two 4506 switches in distribution layer. We are using EIGRP as a routeing protocol.There is an  20GB either-channel configured between two distribution switches. All the access layer switches have dual link to distribution switches (10GB) What could happen when the either-channel goes down between the HSRP switches ? Currently one distribution switch is acting as a Active and the other one is acting as a standby while the 20GB either-channel is down. I am trying to understand how this 20Gig down link affects the network

Thank you 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the Ether-channel between the 4506 switches go down, than the stand-by router will take over since it will not hear any hello packets from the active router.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the Ether-channel between the 4506 switches go down, than the stand-by router will take over since it will not hear any hello packets from the active router.

HTH

Since there are redundant links to the both distribution switches from access switches I don't the either channel affects HSRP. When the either channel is down stand by router still can send hello packets via access switches. After we bring back the either-Chanel up, the HSRP status remained the same as before. I want to know how the 20g either channel affects the network performance

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As long as you are trunking your hsrp vlans downstream to your access switches there should be no affect if your 20gb link goes down. Because you have dual-homed then. If this was not the case I don't understand purpose of hsrp if your case. The 20GB will be used if spanning tree works out a computation to use the 20gb or either that the 20gb is used for routing traffic and becomes a transit path.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card