Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing source-port Method for Port Channels

Chaker BCHIR
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I see that most of LANs and DCs which contain Po in their switches and use Source/Dest IPs or MACs addresses result in a static loadbalacing of flow in links.

I mean that many times we see that a link (or more) is saturated and contains a lot of trafic more than other links : for example we are using a specific source and destination which consume huge amouts of trafic in the LAN/DC.

My question if this's clear : Is it a good idea to change the Load Balacing Method to "Source Port" cause this changes regulary ?

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In general, load balancing algorithms don't always fit all cases, which is one reason there are multiple algorithms. Pick whatever works best for YOUR traffic.

Also in general, if you have a choice to use ports (NB: note not all devices offer that as an option), remember not all traffic has port numbers, but TCP and UDP do. Also, if you have a choice to use both src and dest ports, use that. It won't degrade if one of them is constant, but it avoids the need to keep track of setting either src or dest port, if only one of them is the port that changes values.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card