Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing Types

Suresh Babu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Shell any one tell me types of load balancing concepts.. Like link and data terms...

Regards

Suresh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I don't see what you mean concerning routing or etherchannels( bundling).In case of routing the laod-balancing will be on links but depending upon switching process it can be per packet or per destination flow or per src-dst flow.

In case of bundling then it can be on multiple different physical links from the bundle depending upon the load-balancing algorithm and your traffic flow, if you have only one flow then it will only go over 1 physical link( which means no load- balancing).

Were you asking about these 2 types?

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

if you're talking about router load-balancing then it can be:

-per packet if you're doing process switching like it is the case for locally generated traffic

-per destination for transit traffic if you are using fast switching

-per src-dest ip for transit if you are using CEF switching which is default on Cisco routers.

if you're talking about etherchannel load-balancing then it can be :

-per src mac

-per src ip

-per src-dst mac

-per src-dst ip

-per dst ip

-per dst mac

All platforms don't support all kinds of laod-balancing and it can be configured differently on each end of the etherchannel depending on your traffic flows to get traffic distributed on the highest number of physical interfaces.

Regards.

Alain.

Hi,

You can also use the command test etherchannel load-balance <> <> and find out which interface the packet would take.

sample output:

============

6509-sp#test etherchannel load-balance interface port-channel 1 mac

00d0.c0d7.2dd4 0002.fc26.2494

Would select Gi6/1 of Po1

Please refer the below link for more details regarding etherchannel load-balancing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the reply..

I heared that load balancing types are  like ... 1. Link Load balancer  2. Packet load balancing and some more. If i am not wrong.. So please correct me.

Rgds

Suresh

Hi,

I don't see what you mean concerning routing or etherchannels( bundling).In case of routing the laod-balancing will be on links but depending upon switching process it can be per packet or per destination flow or per src-dst flow.

In case of bundling then it can be on multiple different physical links from the bundle depending upon the load-balancing algorithm and your traffic flow, if you have only one flow then it will only go over 1 physical link( which means no load- balancing).

Were you asking about these 2 types?

Regards.

Alain.

Hi Alain,

Thanks..

I want the same... Please guide if any type of load balancing is missing..

Rgds

Suresh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card