Views
Helpful
Replies

Loop detected on 110 series unmanaged switch

Netnewb222
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am starting small and purchased the Cisco 110 series unmanaged switch. I just connected my XFinity cable modem using the provided yellow ethernet cable to the cisco 110 on ethernet port 1. I have noticed at the upper left LED light is flashing amber and upper right LED is steady green. In looking in the documents in my switch box, it states the flashing amber on the LINK/ACT LED is a loop detected. Am I doing something wrong? My previous switch (not a cisco) did not flash amber, but green. I know my ethernet cable is good, no issues before. I am able to connect to my printers and internet, I'm just a little confused on why the amber is flashing on and off. Any info provided is greatly appreciated. I did google search for results, but all info provided was only on managed switches. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

quang-nv
Level 1
Level 1

I have this problem too. Does anyone have any suggestions?

pieterh
VIP
VIP

if you plug another device in this port, does the amber flashing stop ?
if so, then the Xfinity modem (or further up the cable network)  is misbehaving
and spanning-tree packets sent by the Cisco are returned over the same port, which should not happen.
your previous switch possibly did not have this loop detect signaling?
as this is an unmanaged switch, you cannot inpect any logging for further analysis

if you do not experience any issues with your internet connection, then I suggest to ignore the flashing LED 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card