Views
Helpful
Replies

mac-address issue and port-security

campbell-john
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently have about 60 C3560 switches and about 300 desktop machines that have port-security applied to them.

For a few weeks now we have been experiencing random port lockouts due to an rogue mac-address and for the life of us we can't figure out where it is coming from.

The desktops are all DELL but are different models, running Windows 7 on a domain as with the other 300 machines.

It's always the same mac address regardless of the machine.  It's also affecting machines on different physical locations and switches.

The mac address is always 4000.0100.0000

Can anyone advise on how to track this one down? - Checks of the machines don't turn anything up so we're stumped.  It's also random and intermittent.

All switches are running the latest IOS

I have also found that if i set the port limit to two and put on sticky it still locks out.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For testing, can you try blocking the mac address on one of the switches?

mac address-table static 4000.0100.0000 vlan x drop

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For testing, can you try blocking the mac address on one of the switches?

mac address-table static 4000.0100.0000 vlan x drop

HTH

Thanks, I will try that and report back.  Does this then apply before port security so a port should now no longer lock out?

If a match takes place does it get logged anywhere?

You should be able to see it in the logs on the switch itself or a syslog server if you are logging to a host.

Does this then apply before port security so a port should now no longer lock out?

I don't have a device to test with but I think it should block it before port security. If it is after port security than it will not help you with this issue.

HTH

I will give it a go and see.  I have a feeling that port-security will lock out the port before the filter takes effect.  As it's intermittant it might be some time before I can report back.  Fingers crossed this stops it.

Hi friend, Your issue and I are the same.

If you solved this issue, please share with me.  

Thanks so much

Hi,

We've ran with this for a while now and so far it seems to have worked.

Just enter

mac address-table static xxxx.xxxx.xxxx vlan xx drop

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card